I'm not illegitimate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not illegitimate!

That was a panic, I was on the details that I have for George Phillips as I wanted to check the year that he married his wife Emily Thomas when I noticed that I had no proof attached to the year that they had married, in fact all I had was a wrong birth and an early death. I didn't realize that I was on one of their son's pages
    :o

I was checking because there's still another Phillips child to find. The 1911 census says 4 children born and 1 died, Ivy and baby Beatrice are at home, Mary Hannah is at Emily's Mum's house so that leaves one to find and there is a gap of 4 years between Mary and Ivy. Although the 4 has a very faint 3 in its place.

What do you guys think?

Census Image: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Firstly George wrote the child details under his name instead of his wife's, which is why the enumerator has copied them to the line below. He also entered his age in the wrong column so I guess that form filling was not one of his strong points!

My guess is that George wrote 3 for total children first, then either realised that he should have included the child who had died, or he intially forgot he had a child who died. Either way I would say the 4 is correct and the faint 3 can be ignored.
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 12-06-13, 16:39.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Seems to run in the family then hehe, thanks for your opinion Pete, I just need to narrow this child down.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
        That was a panic, I was on the details that I have for George Phillips as I wanted to check the year that he married his wife Emily Thomas when I noticed that I had no proof attached to the year that they had married, in fact all I had was a wrong birth and an early death. I didn't realize that I was on one of their son's pages
        :o

I was checking because there's still another Phillips child to find. The 1911 census says 4 children born and 1 died, Ivy and baby Beatrice are at home, Mary Hannah is at Emily's Mum's house so that leaves one to find and there is a gap of 4 years between Mary and Ivy. Although the 4 has a very faint 3 in its place.

What do you guys think?

Census Image: http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...l=ReturnRecord
        Unless your parents weren't married you would never be illegitimate from a distant ancestor! the only thing could be that you should have a different surname if a male ancestor was registered without a father's name.
        Margaret

Comment

Hmm lets see if I remember this right Mary Lennon had 6 illegitimate children and one of them (Cecilia) then had 2 of her own that may have shared the same Father and considering one of them is my Granddad I'd say that I was classed as half illegitimate and besides I was joking when I wrote the title as I couldn't find the Marriage of George and Emily until I looked closer and realized that it was filed under Durham rather than Stockton-On-Tees, Durham, England like everything else.

Comment

That still doesn't make you half-illegitimate ;)

In any case the concept of illegitamacy was gradually got rid of through a succession of measures in The Legitimacy Act 1926, The Legitimacy Act 1959 and The Family Law Reform Act 1969.

From 1969 there are no legal barriers placed on any child born out of wedlock, including the right of inheritance.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Aww, I guess I shall just have to call myself the Grandchild of one then. Cecilia's sister is still alive and I'm hoping to visit her soon, she may know something. Granddad's half brother,my Nanna and my Aunt keep on mentioning the name Alexander "Sankey" Campbell so maybe he's the Father, I'm just clutching at straws here.

How did we get from Phillips to Lennon? :D

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                Aww, I guess I shall just have to call myself the Grandchild of one then. Cecilia's sister is still alive and I'm hoping to visit her soon, she may know something. Granddad's half brother,my Nanna and my Aunt keep on mentioning the name Alexander "Sankey" Campbell so maybe he's the Father, I'm just clutching at straws here.

How did we get from Phillips to Lennon? :D
                That's because the Lennon mothers registered the children in their names only - being unmarried they couldn't put the man's name so the surname of the woman is what is assumed.

Margaret

Comment

I think I've narrowed it down.

There's an Alfred Phillips born in Stockton, October 1903, 4 months after the Marriage of George & Emily.
                  There's a death of Alfred in 1904, October.

I'm going to contact Stockton Roots to see if it is him or not.

Comment

I have checked the entry Death Book 103-378 and can confirm father is recorded as George Phillips and informant is mother who is E Phillips.
                    I guess I was right then, Alfred is the missing child!

Comment

Working...
                    X