Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Irish/New Zealand with a detour to Oz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Irish/New Zealand with a detour to Oz.

This is the same family as my last thread but the in-laws.

Deborah Brosnahan (according to her) but usually Brosnan on PRs married Patrick Bowler (sometimes referred to as John). He called himself Patrick John Bowler. They marry about 1848 probably in Firies Kerry. Fist son, John baptised Firies 1849. Another son, Patrick (my great grandfather) baptised 1852.

Sometime, Patrick and John go to New Zealand. Both marry in NZ.

Another child of Pat and Deb, Mary Bowler marries Michael Hussey in Kerry, so the Bowlers didn't all go to NZ as a family.

I cannot find Patrick or Deborah Bowler after the baptisms of their children, however I have a photo of Deborah taken in Tasmania. She looks to be getting old and the clothes suggest late 1800s so she would be about 80 years old.

I cannot find her coming into Australia or leaving or dying here. She had a sister-in-law, Margaret Bowler who came from NZ to Tasmania and joined Mary McKillop's order of St Joseph nuns.

Did Deborah go to NZ? Was her husband still alive? Where did she die?

a deborah bowler married a wallace mibourne moore in new zealand 1907.
    a deborah bowler married an augustus mitchell in 1923.

Comment

do you know if patrick john bowler and deborah had a granddaughter deborah?
      there is a newspaper article on trove, of the marriage on 20th apr 1907 of miss deborah bowler, dau of thomas bowler of fernbank st, marrickville to mr wallace a. moore, son of mr g.a. moore of mt rainsworth, new south wales. the wedding took place at the residence of mr t. brosnahan of kaiti?, gisborne, new zealand.

There is just a delightful feeling of autumn in the early mornings and in the evenings at present which everyone enjoys, and the weather has been delightful during the past week. ...

Comment

Thanks Kylejustin. You have been busy.

The Gisborne Brosnahans we cannot connect to my lot. I have been in touch with them. The Brosnahan spelling does flit between Brosnahan and Brosnan as well.

Deborah Bowler who married Augustus Mitchell is the daughter of Patrick Bowler and Hannah Londrigan.

Comment

i saw trees with the deborah in them on ancestry. as for brosnahan, it is such an unusual name, i would say there must be a connection. i would say that the name is pronounced 'brosnan' but the irish have many letters they don't pronounce!

do you know where in ireland deborah was from? if so, would records exist for that period? you could have someone look them up in dublin?

Comment

The Brosnans/Brosnahans seem to be from Kerry, around Farrenfore/Firies etc. Same place as the Bowlers. There is a fairly good lot of records for there but they start about the late 1840s. I'm more interested in her death or that of her husband. Strangely there is a death of a Deborah Bowler around the right time/place and age, but it's not her. We bought that cert. I really think she went to NZ at some time then came to Aus to visit her sil (the nun) in Tassie, then no idea, but doubt she went back to Ireland as she would have been at least 70 by then.

Comment

death on board a ship? where were those registered between 1850-1900?

Comment

another thought, do you know where the bowler family is buried? maybe there is no death cert, just a burial record?

Comment

Could be a red herring, a Mrs Bowler arrived in Tassie, 23/12/1859 http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=91

Comment

Naomiatt.........I'm sure that's a bit early as Deborah's daughter, Mary certainly married in Ireland and would have been too young to go back by herself....unless she stayed there, but she would have only been about 10.

Kylejustin........I've gone through the Bowler burial plots and nothing comes up. The Kiwi part of the family are mostly still there and have all the burials.

Comment

any wills? when was the last you have of her in records?

Comment

Only will I have is Hannah Bowlers (nee Londrigan of other thread)

The only sightings of Deborah are the baptism records of her children in Kerry (mid 1800s) and then the photo of her taken in Tasmania around the end of the 1800s, going by her clothes and face.

Comment

Working...
                        X