Irish/ New Zealand search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish/ New Zealand search

I have asked this before but with so many new members, I thought I'd try again.

My great grandparents married in New Zealand in 1883. I have the cert.

Patrick Bowler and Hannah Londrigan.

Patrick born Kerry, Ireland, son of John (also sometimes known as Patrick...lol) and Deborah Brosnahan.

I have his baptism and will ask more about Deborah later.

Hannah Londrigan says she's born 1861 in Cork, daughter of Cornelius Londrigan and Catherine (nee Fitzgerald)

I cannot find one thing about Hannah prior to her marriage. I've tried several spelling combos without any hint of success.

Any ideas?? I can't find her parents in NZ so presume they stayed home in Ireland.
    Thanks.

do you have death certificates? they are like aus ones, as in they record roughly how long someone was in the colony. that way you could find a shipping list? and see if they came with anybody.

i find the new zealand historical records site quite clumsy to search.

Comment

I have the cert Kylejustin. It doesn't say.

I don't mind the NZ BDMs. It's just you need to put dates in but Qld is similar. I have not found Hannah's parents in NZ at all and no Londrigans who fit at all. There's very few in Ireland either.

Comment

what if they came to australia first? for maybe a year or less? then came to new zealand? i have a few like that.

Comment

Searching just on Lodrigan on FMP there is 1 marriage in 1855 of Hannah Lodrigan in Wales, 2 newspaper articles one of which is an account in the Times of a riot 1887 in Michelstown and the name Lodrigan occurs in it - I think as a death but I haven't had time to read it all through and I must go out now. The other article is in the Liverpool Daily Post 1863 and I can't at the moment make head nor tail of it!! both articles are OCR scanned so the transcript looks like gobbledegook.

There are also 189 pages to search for passport applications which may or may not help as they are simply the pages where the names would appear in an alphabetical index.
          Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. There are some Lonergans, Landrigans and other spelling but nothing fits. I know there are a lot of Irish records missing or not transcribed, but i keep going back to them...

Kylejustin....I've searched Australia as well. You'll be sorry you mentioned Australia when I ask about Deborah......might do that now but on a new thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              Thanks Margaret. There are some Lonergans, Landrigans and other spelling but nothing fits. I know there are a lot of Irish records missing or not transcribed, but i keep going back to them...

Kylejustin....I've searched Australia as well. You'll be sorry you mentioned Australia when I ask about Deborah......might do that now but on a new thread.
              Not much help me searching the wrong spelling is it!! I'll have another look and hopefully get it right this time :o

Margaret

Comment

Hi I am Paul Londrigan. Our family have a Hannah Londrigan she is buried in Little River Christchurch New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dempseydog View Post
                  Hi I am Paul Londrigan. Our family have a Hannah Londrigan she is buried in Little River Christchurch New Zealand.
                  In case Harrys mum does not see your post on this thread I have sent her a private message to alert her to it.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you Margaret.

Hi Paul.....Welcome to FTF. My Hannah became a Bowler when she married and is buried at Te Henui Cemetery in 1929. I have everything about her from her marriage in 1883 in Wanganui onwards, but nothing before that except what's on her marriage cert.

We could well be connected though.

Comment

There are 2 deaths in Michelstown also, might be totally off the wall but I thought I would run the names by you despite one of the ages!

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Name Catherine Londrigan
                      Event Type Death
                      Event Date 1866
                      Event Place Mitchelstown, Ireland
                      Registration Quarter and Year 1866
                      Registration District Mitchelstown
                      Age 30
                      Birth Year (Estimated) 1836
                      Volume Number 19
                      Page Number 494

Name Cornelious Laudrigan
                      Event Type Death
                      Event Date 1874
                      Registration Quarter and Year 1874
                      Age 65
                      Birth Year (Estimated) 1809
                      Volume Number 19
                      Page Number 485

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There are 2 deaths in Mitchelstown also, might be totally off the wall but I thought I would run the names by you despite one of the ages!

Name Catherine Londrigan
                        Event Type Death
                        Event Date 1866
                        Registration Quarter and Year 1866
                        Age 30
                        Birth Year (Estimated) 1836
                        Volume Number 19
                        Page Number 494

Name Cornelious Laudrigan
                        Event Type Death
                        Event Date 1874
                        Registration Quarter and Year 1874
                        Age 65
                        Birth Year (Estimated) 1809
                        Volume Number 19
                        Page Number 485

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you Elaine. They look promising. Hannah gives her pob as Cork, so that part fits. Off to look for any more new ideas.

Comment

Working...
                          X