Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 census

Samuel Boulton born in Stainton Le Vale, Lincolnshire in 1826
    I found him on the 1871 45yrs St Swithin Lincolnshire with wife couldn't find him anywhere in 1881 but found wife with children thought he may have died, forgot to change search to wife's name for 1891 and found this

1891 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/WT6J-76Z

Any chance of anyone having a look at the 1891 and 'expanding' on inmate, I am assuming the workhouse
    Foxyloxy

hi yes its the Lincolnshire Union Workhouse

Comment

Thank you... I find that really sad 40 years earlier her was a Farmer 40 acres with employees
      Foxyloxy

Comment

it is sad in 1881 I did find a Samuel Bolton born 1827 a Cooper living as a Boarder at 5 Swanpool Court Lincoln St Mary Le Wigford maybe thats him ?

Comment

Maybe it is I will do some digging, some of these people seem to change jobs each census I suppose it was what work they could get
          Foxyloxy

Comment

Just looked he is not with his wife, she is working as a charwomen with one single, one married child, son in law and boarder and interesting enough the son is a labourer in the iron works
            Foxyloxy

Comment

it might be that he was ill and had to go in the workhouse infirmary, I take it you still haven't found him in 1881 Foxy?
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have just checked the 1881 census for lincoln and he isn't there [the workhouse] so not sure where he is at the moment.
                Julie

Comment

what I should have said is on that 1891 census he is described as a Cooper? that why I thought that might be him in 1881

Last edited by Guest; 12-06-13, 19:12.

Comment

this looks like his death
                    Samuel Boulton age 70 Lincoln Lincolnshire Sept 1894 7a 252

Comment

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGG just wrote a reply and it 'disappeared'...so try again:(

I haven't found him on the 1881, although
                      it is sad in 1881 I did find a Samuel Bolton born 1827 a Cooper living as a Boarder at 5 Swanpool Court Lincoln St Mary Le Wigford maybe thats him ?
                      espeically since I now know he was discribed as a Cooper in the 1891. I came to the same conclusion about the death the dates 'fits', name, place and the fact I can't find him afterwards on census.

He married in 1853, but I can only find two children Sarah born in 1858 and Harry in 1863 and Harry seems to follow in his fathers footsteps and disappears, he 'may' have married someone called Mary Ann possibly 1883/4 but I don't have ancestry searching census is not easy to do
                      Foxyloxy

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        Ummmmmmm that is even more likely it is Samuel after some more research was he boarding with a Fountain family by any chance
                        Foxyloxy

Comment

he is with a George and Mary Allen and a Son Frank Linton ?

Comment

Thanks thought it was too good to be 'easy' Fountain was his wifes maiden name and that is where she lived prior to getting married. I haven't researched her parents/siblings so no idea if Mary may have been a Fountain prior
                            Foxyloxy

Comment

Foxy..

have you had a look on lincsto the past for the 1894 burial? might help? I'll have a look in a while but going quiet as we have a huge thunderstorm over us at the moment. :smilee:
                              Julie

Comment

There is also an asylum at Bracebridge, perhaps he was there
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Might be the same chap in this article;

Friday 12 February 1886 , Lincolnshire Chronicle , Lincolnshire, England

I SAMUEL BOULTON, hereby give notice that I will NOT be responsible for any DEBTS my ' wife, ELIZABETH BOULTON, may contract after this date.—Signed, ...

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

1891 Greetwell Gate,Lincoln

Household Members:
                                    Name Age
                                    Harry Boulton 28 Head occ Gardener
                                    Mary A Boulton 26 wife Nottingham
                                    James P Boulton 6 born America US
                                    Frederic H Boulton 4 ditto
                                    Elizabeth Boulton 67 b U-K (unknown) and recorded as a widow

It's possible Samuel went overseas? I have a similiar notice re debts incurred by a spouse for someone in my tree who went to America. There are also a couple of articles from 1886 mentioning a Samuel Boulton connected to a Lincoln Brewery, maybe the cooper occupation ties in there.
                                    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 13-06-13, 16:50.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ou er that is interesting ...........you know I had a feeling at least one of this family immigrated......... it certainly looks that way for Harry and then a return, so it seems I need to look in the USA census and passenger lists.............. now that will be fun for someone who ONLY has English ancestors and still only has as these are branch line
                                      Thank you
                                      Foxyloxy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                        1891 Greetwell Gate,Lincoln

Household Members:
                                        Name Age
                                        Harry Boulton 28 Head occ Gardener
                                        Mary A Boulton 26 wife Nottingham
                                        James P Boulton 6 born America US
                                        Frederic H Boulton 4 ditto
                                        Elizabeth Boulton 67 b U-K (unknown) and recorded as a widow

It's possible Samuel went overseas? I have a similiar notice re debts incurred by a spouse for someone in my tree who went to America. There are also a couple of articles from 1886 mentioning a Samuel Boulton connected to a Lincoln Brewery, maybe the cooper occupation ties in there.

It looks like Harry, Mary, James and Frederic were back in the USA in Connecticut in the 1900 census and there is 'a' Samuel Boulton in Massachusetts as a lodger correct age, born England but no proof it is 'him'
                                        Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
                                        X