Another address census help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another address census help please.

I see there are a couple of other similar requests on the forum, I have read the guides but it's not going in.

I have an address for an ancestor at 335 High St Wapping in 1843. (newspaper report) Is there any way that I can do a search of 1841 census on Ancestry using the address only.

I am finding so many aliases in the family now, I'll try anything.

Sorry, when no doubt it's as simple as ABC and thank you.
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

You cannot do an address search on Ancestry - but you can on Findmypast.

However, if you don't have FMP then you can locate part of the census reference by using the Historial Streets Project (National Archives)

First you need to select the census year - in this case 1841
    You then see the 1841 census registration districts.
    Work out which registration district you want - in this case Wapping comes under Stepney - and find the Stepney listings.
    They are divided into alphabetical streets listings - so in your case you would need W for Wapping High Street - so select Place:Stepney Registration District, 1841 Census Street Index T-Z
    Scroll down to Wapping High Street and you will see part of the reference in the right hand columns -
    There seems to be six lines for Wapping High Street one of which gives dwelling number mixed 304-end - so in the hope that corresponds to house number I would start there - but you may need to check the others!

So it seems you need HO107/715, Book no. 4, folio 29-32
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine for explaining fully. it is good to know so I can use again.

I will copy reply into my family history tips file.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

HO107/715, Book no. 4, folio 29 does take you to Wapping High Street, but there are no house numbers so you will have to work through the pages (probably backwards and forwards!).
        Elaine

Comment

Working...
        X