What does Jock stand for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Jock stand for?

I am helping a friend with their tree and they have someone who was always known as Jock.

Can anyone tell me what names this could mean please?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Jock is a name in its own right are the family Scottish?

Comment

sometimes it is used for John.. [I think!!]

Jock [jok]

noun

1. Scot. and Irish English.
      1a. a nickname for John.
      1b. an innocent lad; country boy.
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 09-06-13, 17:06.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

having googled it can be John or Jack

Comment

Thansk, I did wonder if it was John. Yes the family originated in Scotland and a middle name is Laird.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Jock is also used for someone who comes my Scotland ..the same as Paddy would be from Ireland. My Dad's best friend was called Jock but his name was Andrew

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
              Jock is also used for someone who comes my Scotland ..the same as Paddy would be from Ireland. My Dad's best friend was called Jock but his name was Andrew

Linda
              Yes, I agree - usually John but could be for any Scot, especially living away from Scotland.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Jock usually is a nickname for a Scottish person my late husband being one his name was James, his dad was John know as Jock the Postie another name for John is Iaian and Iain Lizzy

Comment

Hang on laird is Gaelic for Lord like as in Lord of the Manner, Lizzy

Comment

Laird is also a surname, as is the English version, Lord. All the Jocks I know are John, although it is often used (like "Mac") by non-Scots for any Scotsman (like referring to any Irishman as "Paddy.")
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

My Grandfather was Scottish and always known as Jock. His name was John, but I have always understood that Jock is a nickname given to any Scottish male living away from Scotland so that the riginal name could have been any name just like the Irish Paddy.

Janet

Comment

My father was known as Jock..........and his name was James......but................he was a Scottish man living in Australia

Comment

In the army all members of Scottish units were known as Jocks, irrespective.
                          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

That's what I thought as well

Comment

Working...
                            X