Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You know when you have too much info when.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know when you have too much info when.....

When you order a certificate that you already have. I had returned to an ancestor that I was researching a few months ago and "found" his Medal Index Card at the National Archives. Too bad I already had it. And didn't bother to file it properly. Arrgh.

I have done that three times ? bad eh ? I now make sure I put them on my tree instead of just filing them.

Comment

I ordered a birth cert from a local RO. I was very fortunate that they emailed me and asked me if I really wanted it as I had already purchased it six weeks before!

OC

Comment

that was very nice of them OC , what a wonderful service

Comment

I haven't done that with a cert, but, I have done that with 'other' bits of FH.. like chasing up a son and busily finding all the relevant info, census, marriage details etc... too look in my FTM tree and see that it is already there!! [complete with ref's etc!!]
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have done that too rjm, but with a wrong cert.
            I spent many years trying to find my great gran's birth cert and twice sent for the same wrong one. And, of course because it was wrong, I hadn't entered it on my tree or filed it properly.
            I have a nice batch of wrong certs for great gran but did find her eventually ( totally different father so different surname).
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thankfully I have not reordered certs, but I have researched the same ancestor line more than twice or three times, or four ;D

I do have an excuse for 'the twice' computer stolen so lost all files ( yes I know I didn't back up) and 'new' research I had only put on the computer, not in my written record files and the second time the computer got a virus and they couldn't get lots of the data back, I backed up onto an external hard drive which was also affected and it was all a complete garbled mess...all I can say is you learn from your mistakes ( I think)

The other times I have absolutely no excuse for at all, although I am really pleased I did as not only did I check everything I had researched before I found lots of other information and records that I didn't find the first time around, which smashed some brickwalls but it is great to know others are eejits too
              Foxyloxy

Comment

I have a spreadsheet that I list all the my certificates.

I enter all the details from the BMD index of the certificates I want (when I can afford them!), I then put a date in a column when I place the order, then in another column when they arrive, and finally in a column when I have scanned them and entered them into my tree.

It is quick and easy to check before ordering a new certificate that I haven't already got it.
                Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
                  I've got one of those too, so I could be wearing a halo ..... but one does need to remember to fill it in ....
                  Caroline
                  Caroline's Family History Pages
                  Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

so glad I'm not the only one who "forgets" previous research. I tend to flit from branch to branch with my research so I might spend hours on a line and then go to my other notes and find my research results already there. Usually happens with the difficult research lines as I have to keep taking a break from them because they drive me mad !!! The certificates I've bought I keep in a couple of ring binders filed under family names so I always check there before ordering. Amazing how much research you gather but I have been doing this for over 32 years !!!
                    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

i have my certs in folders, and scan the english and irish ones and add them ancestry. i add all the scots ones to ancestry too. any aussie ones i have on a4 paper i do the same. i usually print off some certs more than once (by accident) thinking i havn't done it, but so far, have not bought any duplicates.

i put the year and district of the events in my ancestry tree, and check there before ordering anything. usually, if i have full dates within certificate years, i have a copy of the record.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post

I enter all the details from the BMD index of the certificates I want (when I can afford them!), I then put a date in a column when I place the order, then in another column when they arrive, and finally in a column when I have scanned them and entered them into my tree.

It is quick and easy to check before ordering a new certificate that I haven't already got it.
                        Good idea. If nothing else this whole duplicate certificate episode has finally convinced me to get organized.

Comment

Originally posted by rjm View Post
                          Good idea. If nothing else this whole duplicate certificate episode has finally convinced me to get organized.
                          RJM have a look here in our Reference Library, link posted below:

How-to-store-it-all
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            I ordered a birth cert from a local RO. I was very fortunate that they emailed me and asked me if I really wanted it as I had already purchased it six weeks before!

OC
                            I wish that the GRO had been that considerate as I ordered up and obtained not one or even two, but three wrong certificates for the same person!! And I used to wonder how people could ever do that!! Now I know how easy it is, but thankfully I have not done this with the dearer certificates and I now have everything on Family Historian on my computer so can see at a glance what certificates I still need.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                            X