ALBERT HARRIS Missing on the 1911?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALBERT HARRIS Missing on the 1911?

Hello folks, I have traced ALBERT HARRIS b 1873 in Birmingham up to the 1891 census when he was 18 years old. He joined the army in 1894 South
    Staffs Regiment No. 4326. I know where he served overseas etc etc. He was discharged 21/10/1910 when he was 37 years old after a total service of 16 years. So his military life is known to me...but why can't I find any trace of him on the 1911 census??? As far as I know he was still single when he left the army. I would appreciate any help in finding Albert Harris. Many Thanks, Margaret.
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

what was his occupation ?

Comment

found him in 1911 he is a Labourer Street Cleaning ,married says 6 years to a Emily born abt 1875 same place Saltley Warwickshire
      Child Albert Edward born abt 1906 same place
      living in 35 Cobham Road Saltley Birmingham

also a Niece Evelyn Gatehouse born abt 1901 same place
      Last edited by Guest; 08-06-13, 21:17.

Comment

he married a Emily Gatehouse in March quarter 1905 Aston warwickshire 6D 327

Comment

Found a death for Albert Harris Born about 1873 died JFM Quarter 1952, Birmingham, Warickshire would this be your Albert, Lizzy

Comment

Thank you for your input on Albert Harris...the problem is that he was in the army 1894 - 1910 (signed on for a 2nd time 26/04/1906) so he is not likely to be the chap married to Emily on the 1911 census. His parents & half siblings were still living in Birmingham but I suppose that after 16 years in the army & serving most of that time overseas he could be living anywhere in the UK...back to the search for me !!

Many thanks for your help,
            Margaret.
            Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

what are his parents names ?? and do you know where they are in 1911 ? he could have got married while on leave ?

Comment

I have looked again at his discharge papers & he states that his father is his next of kin no sign of a wife & child at all. I know where his parents & siblings are living on the 1911 & Albert is not with them at all. I also looked at the entry again for Albert & Emily Harris on the 1911 census & actually the signature on Albert's attestation papers & the signature for Albert Harris on the census are really quite different.

Margaret.
                Last edited by skylark; 07-06-13, 22:28.

Comment

Hello folks,
                  I am going to look into this couple with more detail. It occurred to me that the signature's might not match because it was Emily who filled in the census form using Albert's name ( hands up we have all done that!) I have looked up Cobham Road & it is very close to the road that Albert's father & step mother MATILDA were living on the 1911. So I have traced Emily & her parents on the censuses & made the discovery that her mother's maiden name was ELIZABETH WHITEHEAD...& Elizabeth is ALREADY in my tree because her brother, married the half sister of MATILDA...are you keeping up ??? So it could well be that this IS the Albert Harris that I am looking but I may have to buy their marriage cert to prove it...watch this space !! Thanks again for your input, Margaret.
                  Last edited by skylark; 08-06-13, 19:24.

Comment

it all matches Margaret so I wont be surprised if its the right one, good luck

Comment

Me again....Not good news.....I have traced the Elizabeth Whitehead in my tree through the censuses & she is NOT the mother of Emily after all...so it is back to square one...but what a coincidence about the names !! I sometimes wish I had taken up knitting cooked spaghetti instead of family history (not really !!)

Margaret.

Comment

Working...
                      X