Is this sufficient proof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this sufficient proof?

From ScotlandsPeople I have the Registration of Birth of Alice Abbott 26 Sep 1904 Cupar, Fife. Alice is 6 at the time of the 1911 in Dawdon, Durham. Then there are no more records.

From Ancestry Member Connect I can see that several other users have a marriage of Alice Jean Monica Abbott to George Sydney Ryle in Q3 1928 Shardlow, Derbyshire.

Alice’s death is then given as Alice Jean M Ryle Nov 2001 East Staffs, with a birth date of 26 Sep 1904, the same birth date as my original Alice.

Without the expensive of getting certificates, would you accept this as sufficient proof that my original Alice Abbott and Alice Jean Monica Ryle nee Abbott are one and the same person?

D

Not proof but a possibility. My next step (if it wasn't a close enough branch to warrant buying the certificate straight away) would be to search for other possible Alice Abbott births, especially one with the middle names as it seems your Alice was not registered with middle names, which would rule out the theory. Its harder to prove than to disprove unfortunately
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Look at Ancestry trees with a jaundiced eye as too many subscribers latch onto a name that fits their needs and the what happens is that other subscribers latch on to one who started it and it keeps duplicating.
      You must have solid proof or you will always feel uncertain.
      It happened to me and at first I thought ........ 'well they must be right as there are so many of them'.
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by dermotdjt View Post
        From ScotlandsPeople I have the Registration of Birth of Alice Abbott 26 Sep 1904 Cupar, Fife. Alice is 6 at the time of the 1911 in Dawdon, Durham. Then there are no more records.

From Ancestry Member Connect I can see that several other users have a marriage of Alice Jean Monica Abbott to George Sydney Ryle in Q3 1928 Shardlow, Derbyshire.

Alice’s death is then given as Alice Jean M Ryle Nov 2001 East Staffs, with a birth date of 26 Sep 1904, the same birth date as my original Alice.

Without the expensive of getting certificates, would you accept this as sufficient proof that my original Alice Abbott and Alice Jean Monica Ryle nee Abbott are one and the same person?

D
        I would contact the tree owner and ask if they have the marriage certificate for this Alice and if so confirm her father's name and occupation. Also ask if they have the birth certificate and whether it matches with what you have found.

Margaret

Comment

Alice Abbott born 26th September 1904 at Mills Street, Cupar, parents are Thomas John Abbott and Lily Abbott nee Jackaberry they married in Ireland 1894. Thomas was a Company Sargeant looks like Major Royal, Garrison Artillary.Lizzy

Comment

I just had a look at the Trees on Ancestry looks like a lot of coping going on with these Trees, Its Tackaberry not Jackaberry. The only way she could have had those names added to her birth name is if she was a Catholic as in her Confimation names. But to me it looks like two different people, Lizzy

Comment

Originally posted by liz hutchison View Post
              I just had a look at the Trees on Ancestry looks like a lot of coping going on with these Trees, Its Tackaberry not Jackaberry. The only way she could have had those names added to her birth name is if she was a Catholic as in her Confimation names. But to me it looks like two different people, Lizzy
              Not the only way. people are and always have been at liberty to add to, drop or change their names as long as it isn't for fraudulent reasons and if this is the same person she may well have just fancied adding these names.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

True never thought of it that way, sorry I was not been rude it was just what I found that made me think that way, I know I have come on it before and found out its Confirmation names like mine Brigett, butt I dont use it, Lizzy

Comment

Just anther thought there is a Tree on Ancestry that has all the Docos on this family including all BDM from Ireland maybe if you contact this person she will give you a copy, its one of the best Trees I have seen, Pitzrick & Turner Tree, lizzy

Comment

I have access to that tree. Alice's parents are there but not Alice and her siblings. (And I think the docs are the ones I submitted to my tree; at least the naming convention is my style. I tended to put everything online. I know that some people will copy them, and perhaps abuse them in terms of attaching to wrong people, but that's their problem. I see no reason to keep such things private or secret to me.)

Many thanks

D
                    Last edited by dermotdjt; 06-06-13, 11:10.

Comment

Working...
                    X