Where there's a Will, there's a way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where there's a Will, there's a way

I have just been reminded of a valuable lesson. A Will may not be just about the future by referring to a spouse and their children, or living relations, it can also give clues about the past.

I was researching a family tree for someone (hence no names). They were born around 1758 -1760 and died 1843, but there were no useful records about them until 1796. From then on the family tree was straight forward with use of census returns, BMD and newspapers.

But who were his parents? There were several possibilities in birth registers across England, and even larger unknown number not yet published online.

Although I knew the family tree from then on, I thought I would check the Will, and there it was:

"And I desire and request my executrix will give my son, H----- B-----, the large portrait of my father the Rev. H----- B-----

Comments welcome but not sought. I am just chuffed (and a little smug)
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Not really the same thing, but my great great aunt left me £300 when she died in the 1950s. Very nice indeed.

I was utterly amazed when I eventually got the Will of her grandfather, who died in 1894, to discover that HE had left HER £300 and I rather like to think I inherited £300 from a man born in 1807!

(Rather sad that she never spent her £300 and when I got my hands on it, it went mostly on purple slingback shoes!)

OC

Comment

Rather akin to this OC, I now hoping that my client will now want me see if the painting features in later Wills and what happened to it.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Again, not quite the same thing, but a wonderful signpost for me was that in 1200 and something, Cicely Neville brought to her marriage a dowry which included a yearly rental of "one red rose and two embroidered gloves".

In 1822, a land transaction took place in the same family "of the dowry of Cecily Nevil", rent "one red rose and two embroidered gloves". In the absence of BMD records for the 1200s, lol, it was reassuring to see that I had followed the correct family forward (although of course the finer details were lacking).

OC

Comment

I have yet to find any wills for my lot! I can live in hope, one day.. but a good call Phil, and it's so nice when it all ties in! maybe praps a google of the Rev might throw some light on his portrait?? ebay?
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could trace who the portrait went to next and track the picture down? I've got a will from 1903 for Benjamin Badcock who left one of his sons "likenesses"of 2 gt grandfathers, father & mother, photo album, chiming skeleton clock, family bibles, Worcester china, pint cup, & History of England in 8 volumes & gazeteer, I'd love to know what happened to them.

Comment

I found a will that left a painting to an heir, naming the artist and the subject/title. I found a sale history on the internet. Have you tried googling it?

Comment

Great news Phil - made me feel happy thankyou .
                Angelina

Comment

yes, google the painting to see if anything pops up. a painting rumoured in my family to have been done by opie sold at auction in 2007. there are mentions of many paintings throughout the tears in my family, and no one knows what happened to them, except one will, of a cousin's husband int he mid 19th century, most of his art collection ended up in the national portrait gallery, and he listed every painting in his will. many old masters there. pity they didn't come down the family lines.

Comment

Yes Wills are or can be wonderful sources of information. First off none of my living maternal family would help me when I began.... " let sleeping dogs lie" was the phase I heard time and time again, ask a question about a name on a grave ( who I knew was 'mine', no one knew or rather they were not telling) which only increased my interest.

My Great Grandfather it turned out was the 'name on the grave' he was born registered/bap with one name, lived from 1 year old with his grandparents and changed his name over time using his middle name and mothers maiden name, so born with one name and died with another...it was difficult ( pre internet) searching for him especially as he moved counties too. I thought I had it all 'sorted' all his 'fathers' siblings/parents etc, all his mother siblings/parents etc until I got his uncles Will who named his widowed sister who I had no knowledge of at all and that opened a can of worms.

Back to the PRs to check for her, couldn't find her at all on the fiche, even the parish precord books gave little or no clues, so I took a look at the BTs and there she was baptised in the church, also lots of mentions of her name as witness in marriages, so back to the PRs now I knew the dates and each and every single mention of her name there was an ink spot, a page tear or a smudge, looked at the Parish Day Book and the same thing ink spots, smudges and tears.
                    After lots more research she married a man, (whos name was identical to my great grandfather) and they left the area to live in another county, my great grandfather was parish clerk for several years so had access to Day Book and PRs but not the BTs once they were sent..... so I know what I think, I think he was my great great grandfather and I think my great grandfather made those ink spots, tears and smudges.

I have researched both him and my great grandfathers 'named' father but without that Will I would never have found her, some others trees online have her, most do not, but none have her marriage.

I have since purchased my Great grandfathers Will and any other Will I can get my hands on as they are a wealth of information and many unfold lots of information about the lives, loves and family conflicts, other records could never tell you.
                    Last edited by foxyloxy; 04-06-13, 14:08.
                    Foxyloxy

Comment

so encouraging when people tell you the things they have found out

Comment

Thank you everyone who have contributed. I've now managed to find a print/engraving of the person. He was apparently well known in his time for his sermons and theology books. I suspect this print may well have been taken from the portrait.

I'll continue googling, but from my knowledge of Art History, there are thousands of portraits out there with the label 'sitter unknown', I hope this is not the case with this one.
                        Phil
                        historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X