Darnegold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darnegold

Does anyone know the derivation of the name Darnegold (variants Darnagold, Danygold etc) ? I've got some 18th century ancestors where the name seems to be recorded as Dinah and I'm not sure if this is a diminutive of the name or just an attempt at phonetic spelling or mistranscription.
    Rick

As the name is so ancient I would assume it is either French (but doesn't sound likely!) or it is Saxon.

The name Dinah comes from a different root source, although it is quite possible a family "modernised" the name of Darnegold.

OC

Comment

I have checked Familysearch for this surname and nothing came up for it, though they have it as a first name https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NVSD-JLF I also found some other first names by googling but none are surnames http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=H...negold&f=false

RootsWeb - the Internet's oldest and largest FREE genealogical community. An award winning genealogical resource with searchable databases, free Web space, mailing lists, message boards, and more.

Comment

Ah, I assumed it was a first name, not a surname, sorry. It is an ancient first name as well.

OC

Comment

Sorry - to be clear it is a female first name and I've found examples from the 1500s to the early 1800s. I was curious as there don't seem to be that many female Saxon names beginning with "D".

I've got a Dinah Sammon marrying John Willder in Staffordshire, but on their childrens' baptisms she is recorded as Dinah, Danygold and Darney and her burial is as Darnhillgold. Her daughter is baptised as Danygold, but marries as Dinah. A granddaughter is baptised as Dinah and marries as Dinah Gold Willder, only for the curate to correct the marriage entry to remove the "Gold".
          Rick

Comment

Rick

LOL! That's one of the problems with unusual names, no one ever knows how to spell them.

I found a reference in the 1400s to the name. "Darnhillgold" sounds Danish actually, sort of a garbled "Darnhilda", like Gunhilda. As it's such a mouthful, perhaps her family called her Dinah for short.

I have an unusual name in my tree - Parnall, female first name. I traced this back to the 1200s, where it was "Pernouille", obviously French. The family used this name until well into the 1800s, how amazing is that.

OC

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J33V-PQ1 Darnagould Skyrry 1593 Langtoft Lincoln

Comment

http://www.mytrees.com/ancestry/Othe...1140-9614.html Is this your tree

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Rick

LOL! That's one of the problems with unusual names, no one ever knows how to spell them.

I found a reference in the 1400s to the name. "Darnhillgold" sounds Danish actually, sort of a garbled "Darnhilda", like Gunhilda. As it's such a mouthful, perhaps her family called her Dinah for short.

I have an unusual name in my tree - Parnall, female first name. I traced this back to the 1200s, where it was "Pernouille", obviously French. The family used this name until well into the 1800s, how amazing is that.

OC
                  Yes, I wondered about Danish. The correction of the marriage entry for Dinah Gold Willder is quite odd really - it reads like she thought her name was Dinah Gold but it was just Dinah and it was 8 years after the mariage too. It's on Ancestry ..... http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults and http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16..._A101715-00049

Now if I can just get this back to 1200 too :-)
                  Rick

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                    Not my tree, but I have seen that. It's interesting as I don't have a baptism for an Elizabeth, but it's the same church that "Darnhillgold" was buried two years later. I'm also missing a baptism of Daniel Willder on my direct line, but I think although John was his father there was an earlier marriage to a Hannah Poyner before Dinah/Danygold Sammon and Hannah is more likely his mother.
                    Rick

Comment

Thomas, Hannah, Susanna, Willders, St Micheal, Litchfield. Three children found for this couple

Comment

Thomas, Hannah, Susanna, Willders, St Micheal, Litchfield. Three children found for this couple
                        Also Danygold, Sarah & Mary - but no Elizabeth or Daniel. My theory is this is the same John who has John, Thomas & Mary with wife Hannah baptised at St Matthew, Walsall.
                        Rick

Comment

Have to give up for tonight, goodnight

Comment

https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ber%3AC04871-2

Comment

Hannah Willders 17 June 1759, St Micheal, Litchfield, John Willders, Dinah
                              Danygold Willders, 13 JUn 1761 St Micheal, Litchfield, John Willders Danygold
                              Sarah Willders 3 Dec 1763 St Micheal, Litchfield, John Willders, Danygold
                              Mary Wilders 9 Aug 1766, St Micheal, Litchfield, Stafford John Wilders and Darney
                              Thomas Willders 16 July 1768, St Micheal, Litchfield, John Willders, Dinah
                              Susanna Willders 16 JUly 1768 St Micheal, Litchfield, John Willders, Dinah
                              George Wildier 22 Dec 1783, St Micheal, Lithchfield, Father John Wildier,

Here they all are at Saint Micheal, no mother named for George though..............Edna.....

Comment

Hannah Willders 17 June 1759, St Micheal, Litchfield, John Willders, Dinah

Here they all are at Saint Micheal, no mother named for George though..............Edna.....
                                Thanks Edna. If George is a Willder, then it might be he's a grandson - I think John senior had a John junior in Walsall. But the rest of the family seem to have relocated to London, so who knows ? There are marriages for Sarah, Thomas, Susannah and Dinah (Danygold) in London as well as my Daniel. Daniel's grandson Edward Pike married Thomas' daughter Susannah, so I'm certain they are linked - infuriating there's no baptism for Daniel anywhere.

Do you have Ancestry ? I'd be very interested in anyone's opinion on the removal of Dinah "Gold" Willder's middle name from the parish records :-)
                                Rick

Comment

Rick

I don't have Ancestry, but surely the removal of the "Gold" bit was either the Vicar being pedantic OR it was done at the request of the couple who for some reason had to prove their marriage and were worried that the Gold bit was wrong as it wasn't part of her surname.

People do worry about things like this and sometimes think they are not properly married because their name is spelled wrong. What year did the marriage take place?

OC

EDIT - found the marriage. How interesting that Dinah married a GOLDsmith, lol. Wonder if the curate just got confused and thought he had written GOLD in the wrong place.

Are those your postems on Freebmd?
                                  Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 04-06-13, 00:03.

Comment

Bear with me OC and I'll copy a couple of images in here. The marriage was 1805 and the correction was 1813 - very odd. They wouldn't be on Freebmd as too early - Dinah married Edward Pike.
                                    Rick

Comment

Shoot me down if it's a stupid idea....but the name wouldn't have any connection to 'Dane Gelt' would it?

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                                      X