Stuck: Search for M records of Thomas Henry Cousins and Margaret Jane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck: Search for M records of Thomas Henry Cousins and Margaret Jane

I have found a 1911 Census record that fits with my grandfather Fredrick George Cousins, Ynysybwl (llanwonno on record which would be right for ynysybwl). The father is Thomas Henry Cousins 1877 (merthyr tydfil) and mother Margaret Jane 1880 (Treherbert) but I cannot find a marriage that fits, would have been abt 1897.
    I was thinking of ordering a marriage cert because I'm having trouble tracing any further back, but obviously cannot order without a marriage record. Is there any point in ordering a birth cert for my gramp, or is there any other advice you can offer.
    Thank you.

Hi Currie,

do you have a link to the 1911 cens at all?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

What about this one:

Marriages Mar 1897 (freeBMD)
      ADAMS Henry John
      COZENS Thomas Henry
      Davies Mary Ann
      King Margaret Jane
      Pontypridd 11a 610
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        What about this one:

Marriages Mar 1897 (freeBMD)
        ADAMS Henry John
        COZENS Thomas Henry
        Davies Mary Ann
        King Margaret Jane
        Pontypridd 11a 610
        that looks good to me Elaine.... but if you say Cousins/Cozens it does sound the same.. which is pretty much how it must have happened [esp if they were not sure how to spell it anyway]
        Julie

Comment

If you ordered your grandfather's birth cert it would tell you his mother's maiden name, but you would still have to get his parents' marriage cert anyway, to get the names of their fathers

OC

Comment

Thank you both very much. I was totally stuck, didn't think of mis spellings. That does look promising. Thank you both again

Comment

no worries, just hope that it helps with the next stage of your research
              Julie

Comment

Hi, thought I would update. Finally got around to ordering cert and I've got Margaret Kings side ok. Found out that Thomas Henry's Dad was Caleb Cozens. I was surprised to find the spelling on certificate to be Cozens, I thought it might have been an error on the Marriage record. Still my life has got more confusing, partly due to spellings. I found a birth record for Caleb Cozens born in Pembroke. It ties in with some census records for T H living with what seems to be his mum Mary Ann and gran Rebecca in Pembroke (census records have T H born in Merthyr). However couldn't find any more record of Caleb until I searched Cousins and found 1871 & 1861 census records of a Caleb Cousins and mother Rebecca (although ages on 1871 record are a couple of years out) in Pembroke. Quite touchingly the 1861 record has a Peter Founds age 10 living with them, found in Pembroke, I assume an orphan taken in. Looking at the timeline it seems around 1850's the name is Cozens, then Cousins 1861, back to Cozens 1891 and by 1901 was Cousins again. Is this something that people did or am I simply confusing two families. It also seems like Caleb disappeared from Thomas's childhood, dead, divorced??? also no dad for Caleb found. Currently thinking a B Cert for Thomas Henry (to check his mums name) or B Cert for Caleb (to check both parents). I hope my info is all a little more clear than mud to you Any input most welcome.

Comment

Hi Currie,

what you have to remember back then is that most people were illiterate, so they had to go by how names 'sounded' so cousins would sound the same as cozens, if you see what I mean.

I am in the middle of cooking at the moment, but, when I have done I will come back and see what I can find. :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

ok have had a bit of a shuftie:

1841: I know that this doesn't give relationships BUT it is likely that this is Rebecca and her husband/family. [also note that there is a MARY COUSENS next door that could potentially be his mother]

1841: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8768

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1wales&indiv=1

1861: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=15129691

1871: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=7263691

1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8768

1891: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8861

and last but not least Rebeccas death

Name: Rebecca Cozens
                    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1815
                    Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1893
                    Age at Death: 78
                    Registration District: Haverfordwest
                    Inferred County: Pembrokeshire
                    Volume: 11a
                    Page: 665
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 19-06-13, 17:30.
                    Julie

Comment

oooh you might be in luck!!

MARRIAGE:

Name: John Cozens
                      Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1837
                      Volume Number: 26
                      Page Number: 741

Names:

Mary Beddor
                      John Cozens
                      Mary Eliot
                      Ann Harries
                      John Rees
                      Rebecca Rogers
                      Julie

Comment

there are 3 John COZENS deaths in Haverford dist [the 1851 Census was taken 30th March 1851, which is the last sighting of him]

Jul 1851
                        Oct 1856
                        Apr 1857

as Rebeccas last child on the 1861 census was Caleb, aged 5 so has a birth of about 1857

yet his birth says otherwise:

Name: Caleb Cozens
                        Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1853
                        Volume: 11a
                        Page: 598

I would get his birth cert to see if it says father dead or not..
                        Julie

Comment

Julie

His BC is unlikely to state whether his father is dead or not. I think it's more likely that the transcriber of the 1861 census misread 8 for 5. Does he appear in 1871?

OC

Comment

only one of those deaths is showing up in the fmp burials for wales:

john cozens- st issell's, pembrokeshire, 21 nov 1856, 76, b.1780

Comment

caleb cozens ch.7 feb 1864, johnston, pembroke. parents: john a labourer and rebecca of pope hill.

Comment

23 dec 1837, johnston
                                john cozens, full age, bachelor, collier of pope hill. f- william cozens, collier
                                rebecca rogers, full age, spinster of pope hill. f- john rogers, collier
                                both made their mark, in the presence of thomas phillips and phillip phelps.

Comment

Hi, thanks for offering to have a look. What ive found is just on census records at the moment. Thomas Henry as a child is living with Rebecca (gran) and Mary Ann cousins who is down as daughter rather than daughter in law, I assumed Mary as his mother but maybe she's just an aunt. Celeb seems to have married Jane Bowden 1875, the year Thomas was born. Also have records of celeb as a child living with mother Rebecca and Peter founds (orphan). Also have a caleb cousins dying in Australia 1927, unfortunately I don't have access to world records. My mother says my sister is going to fetch cousins records to her for me, so I'm hanging fire on ordering certificates until I see what she has but I'm very tempted to get Caleb's and Thomas's b Certs.

Comment

you should have thomas' birth. that will give both parents names. then get their marriage. and then their births.

Comment

kylejustin

Your post above #16 - should the year read 1854, please?

OC
                                      Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 20-06-13, 10:39.

Comment

Working...
                                      X