Where do I start.....Florence Sarah Peek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I start.....Florence Sarah Peek

I just have some very sketchy information from my sister-in-law regarding her family history. Her father Raymond George Peek (1930-89), was a surviving child of illegitimate twins. The other twin died after an operation shortly after birth to separate them as they were joined at the toe. We believe Florence was born in 1903 and was sent from her home, disgraced, and in a workhouse. As she was unable to take baby Raymond with her when she went to work she put him up for adoption. It was only in Raymond's adult life were they reunited and she died in hospital in about 1965/67. She lived in Lowestoft and the family think she was born there. Where would be the best place to begin researching. x x x Stella x
    Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Is this any use?

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
    Births Sep 1902 (>99%)
    Peek Florence Ada St. Olave 1d 208
    Cath.

Comment

do you have Raymonds Cert ?
      Raymond G Peek Mar 1930 Mutford Suffolk 4a 1735 mothers maiden name Peek
      Last edited by Guest; 31-05-13, 18:29.

Comment

did Florence marry ? and I cannot find the birth reg of Raymonds twin ?

Comment

death
          Florence S Peek
          Dec 1967 Yarmouth Norfolk age 64
          4B 593

Comment

Florence Peek born London living in Lowestoft
            Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Peek Sarah Clara Mutford 4a 1992
              Ward George Mutford 4a 1992

Last edited by WendyPusey; 31-05-13, 18:34.
              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

> We believe Florence was born in 1903 and was sent from her home, disgraced, and in a workhouse.

Did we still have workhouses in 1930?
                Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 31-05-13, 18:41.
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                  > We believe Florence was born in 1903 and was sent from her home, disgraced, and in a workhouse.

Did we still have workhouses in 1930?
                  Sadly yes. The poor law act was repealed about 1929 but many of the workhouses continued in use in one form or another until National Welfare came in in 1948 and even then the same buildings were (and in many cases are still) used.
                  Last edited by JudithM; 31-05-13, 18:47.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

> Sadly yes ...

Thanks Judith. I think I was reacting to the sense of melodrama that the sentence invoked to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      do you have Raymonds Cert ?
                      Raymond G Peek Mar 1930 Mutford Suffolk 4a 1735 mothers maiden name Peek
                      Because if you do, if he was a twin, it will have his time of birth on it as well as the date.

Comment

funnily enough cannot find the birth reg of his twin ?

Comment

Thanks for all your input, I had found the death and Raymond's birth records... It makes you wonder if the twin story was right. I will give the family another interrogation and see what is said. I have asked to see paperwork, if they have any... I will get back to you shortly x x x Stella x
                          Stellanne x

Comment

Val, I have been in touch with my sister in laws mum and she says her husband (Raymond)'s twin never had his birth registered as he died.... Was this legal? I would presume any operation to separate at the toe would not have been immediately after birth! Does anyone have any thoughts x x
                            Stellanne x

Comment

Doesn't have the ring of truth to me.

If Raymond didn't know his BM until much later in life, I can't see them discussing such minor details as whether his so-called twin's birth was registered or not. Also, it sounds like the kind of answer that someone might give when they've been told that no birth registration can be found.

Sorry to be negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellanne View Post
                                Val, I have been in touch with my sister in laws mum and she says her husband (Raymond)'s twin never had his birth registered as he died.... Was this legal? I would presume any operation to separate at the toe would not have been immediately after birth! Does anyone have any thoughts x x
                                Surely the only way this could be so is if the twin was stillborn, rather than dying after the operation.
                                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I was thinking the same thing if the twin lived long enough to be separated then his birth would have been registered.

Comment

My thoughts exactly.... Maybe the twin thing is a family myth... Apparently Raymond wasn't placed for adoption, he was placed in St Margaret's orphanage in Oulten (?) Norfolk.... And then evacuated to Clowne (derbyshire) with other children from the orphanage. Maybe that is where he lost contact with Florence Sarah Peek. It was certainly where he continued his life... Marrying and having children and dieing in the village. To make his life even more tragic he had a heart attack during the ambulance workers strike, and died as he wasn't able to get to hospital.
                                    Anyway that aside.... Any pointers to further investigations x x x hugs x x
                                    Stellanne x

Comment

If the other twin was stillborn then there would be no birth registration - because he was never born. By 1930 Stillbirths had to be registered, as Stillbirths. the Stillbirth Register is not available to the public but you can get a copy of the entry from the Registrar General if you apply in writing - I think you have to be close kin.

I suppose it is JUST within the bounds of possibility that the twins were joined at the toe and an operation was done to separate the living twin from the stillborn twin.

Incidentally....I was a Peek by marriage and there are an unusual number of twin births in my ex's extended family!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                      X