What's Queenie short for please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Queenie short for please.

apart from Gwendoline, which was my Aunt Queenie's Christian name, what others are there please?

sunny x

Queenie is a name in itself and not short for anything. It was quite popular to name girls Queenie and if you look at the England and Wales birth index just for that first name you'll find hundreds.

Margaret

Comment

Queenie can be a name in it's own right. As a nickname, it was used for all sorts of names - "little Queen"; bit like "little princess" or "duchess" for m-in-l!
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you Margaret I'll look under Queenie first

sunny x

Comment

Agree with above, but if fails try Victoria
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

I can see in the index lots of girls with Queenie as a middle name as well as first name so searching for the surname and year /place would maybe find the one being researched.

if you want any help let us have the details -- by PM if necessary.
            Margaret

Comment

My great grandmother Harriott Elizabeth was known in the family as Queenie, it was just a nickname.

Comment

I'm sorry Sunny but I deleted your PM to me with the details. Can you post them up here as the people concerned are most likely deceased by now with dob's of 1890 etc.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X