Chelsea Pensioner information wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsea Pensioner information wanted

Playing around with IGI I found a possible lost relative. How\where can I find more information on him?

Bernard Donoughey, Chelsea Pensioner, born 1835 Ayrshire.

The birth year fits and I vaguely remember finding an indication my man had joined the Army. Unfortunately, I have lost my relevant paperwork.

My man is Barnaby Donaghlley born 1835, Derry, Ireland in the 1841 Census and is not in the 1851 Census where the rest of the family and listed as Donachy.

Hugo

It seems a bit unlikely that this is your man if they have completely different birthplaces.

Anyway, on the familysearch page where you found the entry, click on his name, then on "explore viewing options", and you'll see it says that you can either view the details on FindmyPast or by going in person to an LDS centre.

Comment

'Barnard' DONOUGHEY is in Hants 1881 born Scotland army pensioner, might help sort it out
      Last edited by Elaine; 29-05-13, 19:57.
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Oops! I should have also said that the family lived in the Kilmarnock area of Ayrshire. I can imagine the recruiting officer asking 'Where are you from?' meaning where were you born but the recruit taking it to mean 'Where have you come from?'. Or he could have wanted to hide the fact he was born in Ireland although I suspect he had a broad Irish accent.

It remains a possibility and is so tempting! My intention is to put the information into FTM with a 'to do' note.

My thanks to Mary and especially to Elaine for giving me a pointer.

Hugo

Comment

have pmd you Hugo

Comment

Thanks Val. Have answered your PM.

Off to bed now.

Hugo

Comment

email sent

Comment

Working...
              X