Lydalls again!! [sorry!!] USA searching needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lydalls again!! [sorry!!] USA searching needed

I'm having some problems trying up William H Lydall.. he was born 01 Nov 1879 New Britain, Connecticut USA s/o Charles A Lydall & Lucy.

I have him in census 1880/1900/1910/1920

he married Mildred E. KEMPSHALL 14th Nov 1903 Montgomery, Ohio, United States

Mildred applies for a passport in 1920/1 and travels... Bermuda I think.

I also have his Draft cards for WWI [states wife MILDRED] WWII. [states wife in Hospital]

now, I can't seem to find William on later census, well, I have found 'a' William but, not sure what to think tbh!!

he appears with 'wife' Helen in 1930 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...fedcen&indiv=1

I have found another marriage in 1943!! to a Marjorie M Elms [and she seems to die in 1976!]
    marriage: 12 Aug 1943 Newton Junction, New Hampshire

can anyone that is able, find him in/after 1920 please or help me unravel this muddle.. I really don't know what to think!!

did Mildred die? if so, when? who the heck is Helen? and if anyone can spot a death for William that'd be great!..

sorry for such a long post, just trying to make sense of it all..............and failing miserably!!

Timeline

1879: WH Lydall born
    1900: Census SINGLE
    1903: Marriage Mildred E KEMPSHALL
    1910: WHL & Mildred
    1920: WHL & Mildred
    1921: Last sighting of Mildred, application for Passport poss travel to Bermuda.
    1921: ARRIVAL FROM BERMUDA PORT OF NEW YORK 10TH MARCH 1921. MILDRED LYDALL OF CHESNUT ST, NEW BRITAIN, CONN.
    1921: the year that HELEN V married aged 23... [information taken from 1930 census]
    1942: Draft card for WHL of 138 KENOZA? AVE, Essex, MASS [states wife in Hospital]
    1943: Marriage to Marjorie M ELMS
    1976: Marjorie M LYDALL dies.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-05-13, 17:55. Reason: adding 'bold' to new info.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Hi Julie, in 1921 in Town Directory for New Britain, William H Lydall is noted as moving to Boston Massachusetts - looks good so far for 1930 census. will keep looking.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

In 1926 Wm H, a clerk and wife Helen are living at 93 High Street in Brockton Mass

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/...ln=lydall&st=g

The next directory is published in 1929 and they are not in that one.
      Last edited by ozgirl; 28-05-13, 15:44.
      Linda

Comment

thanks Linda.. I kind of lose him after 1952/3 I think it is, though I still don't know if he is the one I am after, I have no idea who Helen is!.. he marries Marjorie in 1943, but he is supposed to be married to Mildred!...lol.
        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          Hi Julie, in 1921 in Town Directory for New Britain, William H Lydall is noted as moving to Boston Massachusetts - looks good so far for 1930 census. will keep looking.
          1930 Census

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
          Julie

Comment

aha!! found two marriages!!... will update the header post!
            Julie

Comment

Obituary for Charles A Lydall in 1940 says he is survived by son William H of Haverhill - that might help a little!
              Linda

Comment

I wonder if Mildred was Mildred ELLEN ??
                Julie

Comment

Obituary for Charles A Lydall in 1940 says he is survived by son William H of Haverhill - that might help a little!
                  yep I just found that as well...lol... [great minds eh?]
                  Julie

Comment

I was thinking that about Mildred too - but if so the date of birth for Helen is way out - would make her about 5 when she married.
                    Linda

Comment

I was thinking that about Mildred too - but if so the date of birth for Helen is way out - would make her about 5 when she married.
                      that mucks up that theory then Linda!! lol!!... i'll have another shuftie..
                      Julie

Comment

I have added a timeline to the header post, it's looking like WHL married 3 times, though I can't find the 2nd marriage!...

not ignoring anyone, am cooking dinner at the moment.
                        Julie

Comment

Possible Marjorie Lydall born 14 jan 1900 in Massachusetts and died 27 Feb 1976.
                          Linda

Comment

Possible Marjorie Lydall born 14 jan 1900 in Massachusetts and died 27 Feb 1976.
                            ta.. little bits of the puzzle coming together.. :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

Found the Directories for Haverhill -

Up to 1941 William and Helen are living at 138 Kenoza.
                              In 1942 William is by himself - same year as WWII draft records where wife is in hospital. I would assume Helen died about then and the following year he married Marjorie.
                              in 1944, 46, 48, 50 and 52 William and Marjorie are living at 10 Summit Ave.

In 1955, Marjorie is the widow of William, owner of the Opportunity Shop - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...771&sid=&gskw=

So William dies sometime between 1952 and 1955, presumably in Haverhill.
                              Last edited by ozgirl; 28-05-13, 17:43.
                              Linda

Comment

Found the Directories for Haverhill -

Up to 1941 William and Helen are living at 138 Kenoza.
                                In 1942 William is by himself - same year as WWII draft records where wife is in hospital. I would assume Helen died about then and the following year he married Marjorie.
                                in 1944, 46, 48, 50 and 52 William and Marjorie are living at 10 Summit Ave.

In 1955, Marjorie is the widow of William, owner of the Opportunity Shop - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...771&sid=&gskw=

So William dies sometime between 1952 and 1955, presumably in Haverhill.
                                ahhh cool... I have been adding to the timeline on the first post... can you spot what year 'Helen' appears with WHL in the directories at all Linda..
                                Julie

Comment

It looks like 1926 in Brockton is the first sighting of Helen (see post 3)

In 1924 William is alone in Brockton, there is no directory for 1925.
                                  Last edited by ozgirl; 28-05-13, 18:16.
                                  Linda

Comment

It looks like 1926 in Brockton is the first sighting of Helen (see post 3)

In 1924 William is alone in Brockton, there is no directory for 1925.
                                    oh yes..oops sorry.. :emb:

according to the 1930 cens, Helen age at first marriage is 23 which indicates a marriage year of 1921. [ooh I wonder if they divorced then?] [mildred & wm I mean, wonder if that is why she went to Bermuda?]
                                    Julie

Comment

have to go out now but i'll be back in about an hour

thank you Linda for all of your help xx
                                      Julie

Comment

I did notice on Mildreds passport application she said she was intending to visit England and France but I couldn't see any record of her coming to UK.
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X