Is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me?

Is it just me who is looking for an ancestor and that particular ancestor has their given name missing from a baptism registereven though you 'know' it 'must' be them because of the date...none of their 'potential' siblings have missing given names, just yours....end of moan
    Foxyloxy

My great grandfather and one of his brothers both started using fancy middle names in their 20s. These names did not appear on their baptisms or their birth certificates.

OC

Comment

alot of people 'added' names to their names, I guess to make them appear grander than they were, alternately I have many relatives that had two Christian names, but tended to ignore the first name and use the second.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I do not think you are alone. I have many who used different names to those with which they were christened. To name two, one who was always known as Connie was christened Elizabeth, and another who was christened Anna became Nancy!

Janet

Comment

Hi just a thought lots of people used nicknames back in the 1800's like my Grand Father Freddy really Alfred it is called a part from a nickname its called a T-Name. A pet name by a parent or who ever would and could be used as a first name because they were know as that, Lizzy

Comment

My greatfather's birth cert says John. He was baptized as John Joseph, and married and died as John William !

My grandfather was known as Tommy to his friends, Al to his family - he was registered as Albert.

I also have a relly born as Isabella Ann, that morphed into Elizabeth after she married. It took me a long time to work that one out.

bcbrit
            George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I have some that are shortened and Granddad Albert ended up as Albie for the past 6 years of his life because I could never say Granddad.
              Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by foxyloxy View Post
                Is it just me who is looking for an ancestor and that particular ancestor has their given name missing from a baptism registereven though you 'know' it 'must' be them because of the date...none of their 'potential' siblings have missing given names, just yours....end of moan
                Do you mean the register only gives their surname? Is the register damaged?

If it's the parish register you're looking at, it might be worth trying the Bishop's Transcripts; I found the Christian name of one of my ancestors that way, when it was missing from the parish register (which looked as though it had been nibbled by mice or something).

Comment

My Aunt Bridie was actually Mary Bridget.
                  Aunt Mary is Teresa Mary
                  Aunt Theresa is Ann Theresa
                  Fortunatley the other 8 of my aunts and uncle on my moher side either only had one christian names or all used the first of their 2 names.
                  I have a couple of cousins called Dermot but that is not thier birth name. My father was a Dermot, or at least he was until he got his birth certificate back in the late 70's early 80's. He had totally forgotton that his real name was Jeremiah

Oh the joys of irish family naming traditions!!!!

Dermot (Its on my birth certificate and I'm sticking to it;D)

Comment

When my uncle Bert died I scoured the local newspaper looking for details of his funeral. Luckily he had an unusual surname for the area or I would never have spotted Frederic!!!
                    Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                      Do you mean the register only gives their surname? Is the register damaged?

If it's the parish register you're looking at, it might be worth trying the Bishop's Transcripts; I found the Christian name of one of my ancestors that way, when it was missing from the parish register (which looked as though it had been nibbled by mice or something).
                      Yes on this particular one the PR only gives a surname, well that is all I wrote, so it was either unreadable ( in which case I normal take a copy) or it was not there and it is 'not me' as I have checked the full transcription and it is not written in that either, so yes thank you for reminding me about BTs:o I am not sure if I am slow when it comes to my own research or maybe just to close to see. What I do know is that it really helps writing it down for others to offer a different view

Thanks
                      Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
                      X