Does anyone have any thoughts here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any thoughts here?

I've been searching for the Lennon's over the past week and if you've seen my latest blog you'll see that I have been rather successful (I didn't wish to waste Research space for useful information), anyway what I'm stuck on is this:

In Scotland's People I found a Census for 1911 for a Mary Ann Lennon (I thought it was her Cousin Mary) but when I opened it I realized it was for Mary Ann who is the Daughter of John Lennon & Isabella Bradley. It might be easier if I write the family out on both Census records.

1911: Father John 1868, Son John- 1890, Daughter Mary Ann- 1895, Daughter Lizzie- 1897 and a Servant.

1901: Father John, Son John, Daughter Mary Ann, Daughter Lizzie, Daughter Bridget-1899 and a Servant. (Noted as Lenon)

Now this is the odd bit, I was searching for the Marriage of Edward Lennon (Mary's Son) and I clicked one that matched the area and realized that it had a Father and wasn't just in the Mother's name. I noticed that the name was John and didn't think much of it until I saw the name Isabella which is when I opened my tree and realized that my John was married to Isabella Bradley.

I also find it odd how Edward who is 25 in this 1931 Marriage isn't mentioned in the 1911 Census nor is Isabella and Bridget also isn't there (Nor can I find a birth on Scotland's People using her name and the dates of 1895-1905 the one I found has different parents)

Plus there's another name on Isabella:
    crop.jpg

So could they have divorced and Isabella took Edward with her or John died and then she re-married?

Just double checked Scotland's People to see if I had the Marriage of John & Isabella correct (I admit that it was a connection that gave me it) and the Marriage actually happened in 1902- Lanarkshire.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

The name for Isabella is Quinn.
    This matches a marriage in 1927 for a John Quinn and Isabella Lennon, Bellshill, Lanark. (source SP)
    Elaine

Comment

Do you recon this could actually be a second Marriage for John.L then?

Comment

Do you mean the 1902 marriage to Isabella Bradley to be a second marriage? - it does look possible.
        What you need to do is find one of the birth certificates of the children who appear with John in the 1901 census and see who is listed as the mother.
        Elaine

Comment

Have you seen the image for the 1901 census. Is John listed as widowed?
          Elaine

Comment

I do have the census image and it does look like widow is there, it's just extremely small to see, I've searched all children and there's none given the births that match the census and there's 7 Marriages from 1880 to 1890.

Comment

I wonder if this is Bridget - it was my last SP credit so I cannot see if any of the others are registered under LENNAN!

Birth registration:
              1898 BRIDGET LENNAN - District: CAMBUSNETHAN /LANARK (source SP)
              Elaine

Comment

I'm an idiot. I was mainly sticking to the on, I forgot about the an :(

I shall go and take a look now and let you know..

Comment

When you have a name with a variation on spelling, it's always a good idea to use the "surname variants" option on the drop down listing to the right of the surname box,
                  .. or just put in "LEN" and use the "surnames that begin with" option
                  .. or LEN*N and use the "wildcards allowed" option
                  .. etc.!
                  Elaine

Comment

well I've bought it but I'm not able to look at it, there's currently an error.

Comment

Oh, what a shame. I wonder if a change of browser might help - if not best to email SP and ask them to email a copy to you.
                      Elaine

Comment

I've used both IE and Chrome I'm afraid, I have filled a form out so I guess I have to wait, in the mean time I'll try to narrow the others down :D

Comment

It looks like it's the site itself that's down so I'm afraid we'll have to continue this tomorrow.

Comment

If your john lennon had a servant he must have had a bit of money - can you find him in the directories for his area in 1901 and 1911?
                            Angelina

Comment

I'll have a try. The addresses are 288 Glasgow Road in 1901 and 35 Double Furnace Row in 1911, both are in the Wishaw area of Cambusnethan.

Comment

try using 'traditional soundex' when you search on scotlandspeople, it brings up all variants whether you spell it 'lennon' or 'lennan' in the search box. i have to look for mcdonald, mcfarlane, matheson etc they all use variants, and traditional is the best way to pick up ones you'd never think of for yourself.

Comment

I cant find any directories for Wishaw online - looked on national library of scotland but none there for Lanarkshire. got loads for Edinburgh and Forfar though so hunted for some of my people instead.!
                                  Ancestry have got your John Lennon in 1901 as Lenon and the children's surnames are spelled Lenan - can you correct it?
                                  Sorry didnt find anything for you.
                                  Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                                    I cant find any directories for Wishaw online - looked on national library of scotland but none there for Lanarkshire. got loads for Edinburgh and Forfar though so hunted for some of my people instead.!
                                    Ancestry have got your John Lennon in 1901 as Lenon and the children's surnames are spelled Lenan - can you correct it?
                                    Sorry didnt find anything for you.
                                    I have indeed corrected it, thank you for having a look.

Scotland's People still isn't letting me open the image so I'm going to try going back to an old one to change the "Viewing options" before having another try.

Comment

Scratch that last message- Chrome let me view it when I changed the settings in my account section.

Bridget's parents are noted as John Lennan and Annie QUINN!

Comment

So do you think john lennon senior married annie quinn and then she died and he married isabella bradley.
                                        when john senior died isabella married mr quinn who may or may not be related to annie?
                                        Angelina

Comment

Working...
                                        X