Purchase-able Registers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase-able Registers.

I have read over the years of Researchers offering 'look-ups' because they have bought a Group of Registers and are willing to help others.
    Does anyone know what Registers can be bought and from where?

Usually Family History societies have transcripts for sale, either in book form, microfiche or CDs. I am not aware of actual photocopies of registers being available for sale, although there are quite a lot on-line now including those on Ancestry and the excellent Lincolnshire Archives LincstothePast.

Anne

Comment

Suffolk County Archives offer copies of original parish registers for sale on microfiche (or some on microfilm) http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/libraries-...pying-service/
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Anne & Judith................I'll check out some local Family History societies.

Comment

If you take a look at

I have listed (a few years ago) the contact details for the various Record Offices that sell microfiche/microfilm copies of parish registers.
          In addition many FHS and commercial suppliers sell transcripts on CD
          Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

http://www.parishchest.com/ This site has lots Alan

Comment

You can find several on Ebay as well.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

It largely depends on which counties you are interested in.

A lot of the local family history societies sell transcriptions.

E.g.

Buckinghamshire

Oxfordshire

Which counties are you interested in?
                Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 27-05-13, 19:21.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't ever buy transcriptions unless there was no other way of getting the information. There are many transcriptions already available on the internet, so that's another thing to check before purchasing.

Many original registers are available to view (filmed) at your nearest LDS family history centre for a small fee.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    Personally, I wouldn't ever buy transcriptions unless there was no other way of getting the information. There are many transcriptions already available on the internet, so that's another thing to check before purchasing.

Many original registers are available to view (filmed) at your nearest LDS family history centre for a small fee.

OC
                    OC, in my case it's easier and cheaper to buy the transcriptions than go to the hassle of going to the nearest LDS FH centre.
                    I must add, however, that in most cases I try to visit the appropriate Record Office to verify what I have found. It does make it a lot quicker to do the donkey work first as often when visiting another part of the country I don't have enough time to trawl through the PRs.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

familysearch has many registers online (yes, not just the indexes of registers, the actual records) - some from Cornwall & Devon, for example.

Comment

i usually just google the town name plus 'parish registers' and it will usually come up with results informing you of local societies with transcripts. some are handy, because the originals get uploaded, like when ancestry filmed harewood in yorks, i had the transcripts so could pick up the images and prove when ancestry stuffed up with images.

Comment

I apprecite all your responses, thank you. Stupid me was under the impression that some purchase-able Registers contained detail not available on line ...........my particular interest is in Cheshire and Lancahire.

Comment

findmypast has a good collection of cheshire records. ancestry is only good if you want what's in the lancsopc database. but they do have liverpool. and fmp has manchester, which ancestry has also got.

Comment

AlanC

you are right though - many original registers contain information which is not transcribed and therefore not on line. That's why I always try to see the original - sometimes a marginal note explains a lot!

I also have one instance where the transcribed information (which is online) turnd out to be a completely fictitious record made up by the transcriber, presumably to cover up an illegitimacy. It was only when I looked at the original register that I realised it was a fudge. As it concerned one of my direct ancestors, it mucked up my whole tree!

OC

Comment

I have one branch of my tree in a Devon village, and was able to buy a small book full of baptisms for only £2 - I found the information on Genuki, and the book has been invaluable to me - I also bought one for marriages in the same area. If you have a lot of people in one area it would be worth checking what's available on there
                                Darannon

Comment

https://familysearch.org/search/coll...INGDOM_IRELAND Alan this is a list of what is available on Familysearch and there is lots for Cheshire and some for Lancashire and lots just added this week like Cheshire Bishops Transcripts, Parish Registers for Lancashire, Cheshire, Yorkshire, 1603 to 1910 have just been added too and are browsable the actual records....... Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna, on my way to have a look.
                                    Darannon, didnt you do well for £2.

Comment

Alan if what you are looking for is not yet available keep checking as they are constantly updating parish records.
                                      Edna

Comment

Working...
                                      X