What happened to her?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to her?

I have a Bridget Paden b c1844 Ireland who married a Michael Mulhern in 1862 in Sunderland, Co Durham. They had a son John born 1864 who died in 1872. Grandfather Martin registered death. Can't see any other children.

Someone kindly found Michael and John in the 1871 census living with Michael's parents Martin & Mary Mulhern (Mulhearn/Mulhearne) in Sunderland - no maritial status for Michael and no sign of Bridget.

Bridget 1861 census
    RG 9; Piece: 3780; Folio: 7; Page: 8; GSU roll: 543186. with widowed mother Elizabeth and friend? Mary Ann Sullivan.

Michael & John Mulhern 1871 census
    RG10; Piece: 5017; Folio: 32; Page: 58; GSU

I cannot find a death for Bridget - the one in Lanchester wasn't correct.
    I believe Michael died in Sunderland in 1896 (not confirmed)

Can anyone find out what happened to Bridget please?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Just a comment ... the Michael Mulhern death registration in 1896 gives an age at death of 49, which would give a birth year of 1847 - whereas the 1871 census for Michael gives a birth year of c1838.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry, not having much luck finding anything for Bridget.
      Elaine

Comment

He was a Mariner, aged 49. Died at the Union Workhouse

Not having any luck either. As Bridget seems to have had only one child with Michael and no obvious death record, I looked at the local workhouse (for infirmary) and asylum records but nothing obvious.

Vera
        Last edited by vera2013; 26-05-13, 18:26.

Comment

Thanks for looking - No I couldn't find anything either.

Yes I did notice the discrepancy with the age and thought perhaps it was a mistake if it wasn't registered by a family member - I haven't got the certificate yet!!! The occupation is right and his father Martin - also on the durham records also died in the workhouse.

Bridget's sister Ann managed to knock 17 years off her mother's death certificate when she registered it lol!!! so the age discrepancy is quite possible.

I thought perhaps she might have died giving birth but there's no death entry. Given that Michael was a mariner I did look to see if I could find a death elsewhere for Bridget but without luck. The death in Lanchester, Co Durham wasn't her - I got that certificate.

There were entries for a Michael & Bridget Mulhern emigrating to the US which could have been them but given that Michael was still in Sunderland in 1871 that was eventually ruled out.

I just wonder what happened to her.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I had a good look for her and not found anything sorry

Comment

Thank you so much Val, Elaine & Vera. Wonder if she felt married life wasn't for her lol!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                Thank you so much Val, Elaine & Vera. Wonder if she felt married life wasn't for her lol!!!!
                Have you looked for another marriage for her? she may have married bigamously in another town/area.

Margaret

Comment

That's a thought Margaret -

I originally thought she and Michael had gone to the USA as there's a couple on the census over there which would fit (since discounted) but couldn't understand them leaving son John behind. Anyway Michael has since been found on the 1871 census in Sunderland.

Bridget had 2 sisters I haven't accounted for and they spell the name different each time Padan,Paden, Padden, Paddon, Patton, McPaden, even Pardon?!!! so without a place to look could be difficult.

Honora Padan b c 1836 in Ireland who I believe emigrated to the USA 1857 and later married an Edward Barrett (not confirmed) and might be completely wrong.
                  Elizabeth Padden b 1844 in Ireland - last heard on in 1861 census in Hartlepool.

Their brother Michael b c1836 in Ireland married Sarah Curruthers in Sunderland and emigrated to Chicago in 1884.

off to have a look.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                    That's a thought Margaret -

I originally thought she and Michael had gone to the USA as there's a couple on the census over there which would fit (since discounted) but couldn't understand them leaving son John behind. Anyway Michael has since been found on the 1871 census in Sunderland.

Bridget had 2 sisters I haven't accounted for and they spell the name different each time Padan,Paden, Padden, Paddon, Patton, McPaden, even Pardon?!!! so without a place to look could be difficult.

Honora Padan b c 1836 in Ireland who I believe emigrated to the USA 1857 and later married an Edward Barrett (not confirmed) and might be completely wrong.
                    Elizabeth Padden b 1844 in Ireland - last heard on in 1861 census in Hartlepool.

Their brother Michael b c1836 in Ireland married Sarah Curruthers in Sunderland and emigrated to Chicago in 1884.

off to have a look.
                    She could have used either surname for another marriage.

Margaret

Comment

or something completely different I fear!! lol

I did wonder if Michael was a mariner whether she went with him at some stage and perhaps died whilst on board.

Comment

there are 3 marriages between 1864 when John was born and 1871
                        Bridget Mulhern 1867 Staffordshire Wolstanton
                        Bridget Mulhearn 1869 Lancashire Derby
                        Bridget Mulhearn 1869 Yorkshire Bradford

I also found a Biddy Mulhern yesterday and discounted her but you never know,shall see if I can find her again

Comment

http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/index.a...id=1399&fPst=1 - can't post results

Wondered about this one. She married James Baxter a widow in 1868 in Sunderland. Gave her name as Garmen also Mulheran.

They all seemed to live at Baines Lane, Sunderland at cerrtain times.

James Baxter 1841/51/61
                          Bridget Paden 1861
                          Michael Mulhern 1871

In 1871 James, a Mason and Bridget were living in 5 Old Grey Street, Sunderland. Her dob is way out from the 1861 with mother Elizabeth.

Looks like she died in 1879 and James in 1883

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 28-05-13, 00:46.

Comment

Thanks Val and Vera

Looking at the marriage of James Baxter - Bridget's name on freebdm is Garmen or perhaps Gorman being her maiden name? No sign of Paden or variants.

Regarding the other marriages - I believe the one in Bradford is an established Mulheran family there.

I've been trying to discount the other two by trying to find them in the 1871 census

1867 in Wolstanton, Staffs to either Michael Corbett or John Bateman other spouse being Amy Baddeley
                            1869 in West Derby, Lancs to Patrick Cunningham or Martin Donough other spouse being Ann Burns

I did notice a marriage in Sunderland in Mar qtr 1869 of a Bridget Madden to a Joseph Brine or John Campell - other spouse Alice McMann so am looking at that.

Comment

Working...
                            X