Thrandeston Suffolk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrandeston Suffolk

I am trying to find a baptism for George GroomEstimated birth from census 1801

1841 Gorge Groom, 35, Ag lab, not born in county( living in Norfolk) HO107/758/15 7 8
    1851 George Groom, head, 49, Ag lab, b. Suffolk ?Trandliston? HO107/1821 473 1
    1861: RG 9/1232/190/12 and the 1871: RG 10/1835/85/8 George born Thradestone
    1881 George GROOM Boarder W Male 80 Eye, Suffolk, England Farm Lab( living with daughter in Wacton Norfolk)

His parent were Robert Groom and Elizabeth Barnard,they were married in Thrandeston Suffolk in 1794 they had several children born 1795-1814 father died in 1815, mother moved to Tivetshall St Margarets Norfolk which is where many of their children went to live too including 'my' George, he died in 1888 aged 88yrs.

I thought I had found his baptism 14 July 1799 in Thandeston, however this George was buried on 8 Dec 1800 and says s/o Robert/Elizabeth.
    Foxyloxy

have you got Ancestry someone on there has done a fab job on a Tree with him on it, lizzy

Comment

No I haven't got ancestry:(
      Foxyloxy

Comment

If it's a public tree on Ancestry then you should find the same on www.mundia.com (which is associated with Ancestry)
        FREE to join & search & make contact with submitters.
        Elaine

Comment

Not sure if this link works - you may have to register for an account first

Click on VIEW TREE on the first entry for George Groom b1803, d1874 and you will see some trees for George Groom b Thrandeston.
          Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine, just had a quick look and will go back to look more, but it looks like they have done what I did at the beginning and found the George Groom baptism , but not looked at the burial records

I thought I had found his baptism 14 July 1799 in Thandeston, however this George was buried on 8 Dec 1800 and says s/o Robert/Elizabeth.
            Foxyloxy

Comment

Hi it says George Groom born 24th March 1799 Baptised 14th July 1799, what is good about his B/C it gives his mothers surname Formally Barnard, Lizzy

Comment

where did you get the information for the registers from? it is possible his baptism was missed from transcripts.

Comment

where did you get the information for the registers from? it is possible his baptism was missed from transcripts.
                  Oh I would love to say yes it is from transcripts but I got the information from the PRs, which is why I think others have missed the burial of this 'first George' as they are looking at transcripts online and not the PRs themselves, the PRs say s/o Robert & Elizabeth Groom ( Barnard). I would love to relook at the PRs now but it is simply not possible.

It is very frustrating as I know 'my' George is also their child but I can't find a baptism for him, my only thought is that up to then they were having children approx 10 months apart, with a burial to pay for the baptism of their next, so when 'my' George was born, he somehow got missed, later children were 2-3 years apart and were baptised , the last child Enoch was baptised in 1814, he went to the USA and his orbit says he was born on 13 March 1810 ( but an orbit is not a primary record for a birth date) there is also another sibling bap on 30 March 1810 so it is highly unlikely or they would have had a double baptism. They are also ignoring all previous census which clearly shows Enoch as 1813/14 birth date too

Once their father Robert died after struggling to bring up a large family of young children the family moved to Norfolk and Elizabeth went with them and died in 1838 in St Margarets Tivetshall Norfolk, from there a couple of the brothers immigrated to the USA a couple of years before she died.

have you got Ancestry someone on there has done a fab job on a Tree with him on it, lizzy
                  I was in touch with the person who did this tree a couple of years ago, I notice he has added many of the PR copies I sent at that time except he hasn't added the burial PR instead marrying the George who died and also has added another 'sibling' who is not a sibling and attaching PR copies that don't prove any ' connecting relationship' to the family with several of the same PR copies being added to different people in the tree.... after some weeks of contact I was told at that time it wasn't his 'family' but he was doing work for the USA connection, if I had known that I would have contacted the 'US connection' directlly and not via a third party

Frustrated:( which is what keeps us looking..thankyou all for your on going help........the search continues
                  Foxyloxy

Comment

I got it frm ancestry, lizzy

Comment

how do you know he is their son then?
                      Last edited by kylejustin; 27-05-13, 05:58.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        how do you know he is their son then?
                        My grandmother has a letter written by Fanny Dye ( nee Groom) saying she had just recieved a letter from America from a Carrie Okey telling her that her father had just died (George younger brother Enoch Groom)

My George lived with Fanny Dye ( census, baptism record etc so that is a proved cited link) and after some research Carrie Okey(nee Groom) turns out to be Fanny's 1st cousin.
                        Foxyloxy

Comment

well that's good info then. i would say it is likely his baptism was missed-either from being entered into the registers, or the parents not getting around to it. or maybe he was baptised at home soon after birth, and not in the actual church. last point is maybe a non conformist baptism.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            .................... i would say it is likely his baptism was missed-either from being entered into the registers................
                            Ummmmmmmm wonder if the Day Book has survived for St Margaret's Thrandeston Suffolk...... if so I would think it would be in the Records office and that may be worth emailing them and asking
                            Foxyloxy

Comment

Working...
                            X