Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Psychogenealogy – does it settle your soul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychogenealogy – does it settle your soul?

It does mine
    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

What a lovely word! I haven't come across it bfore - I love new words!

Comment

I thought it was carrying around the names and details of all your ancestors in your head, because you know them so well from searching for them for so long
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I had to look this one up :p http://psychogenealogy.weebly.com/wh...genealogy.html

Yes and no

When it is going well the patterns such as naming children can really help, considering we only know about them from 'bits of paper' we sure make lots of judgements about them, well I do at times, 'liking' even admiring an ancestor however as their life unfolds I decide I really don't like 'him/her' anymore

Then there are the frustrating ones who you KNOW are not who the records say they are, but it is the records we research by, not the very strong lifetime of circumstancial evidence that 'tells' a completely opposite story
        Foxyloxy

Comment

Hmm, not so sure about this. Could it be psychobabble? Things like naming patterns are cultural and almost universal in England before the 20th century.

Families working for the common good is again a cultural thing. It works very well (as a model) for farmers, say. It is less applicable where the family is clerical and employed by others.

However, I do feel there is some kind of inherited memory being transmitted on the genes. Likes and dislikes, skills and non skills.

And I agree with Foxy, a lifetime of circumstantial evidence is still not acceptable proof that someone was someone else, lol. I was thinking about this very thing in the middle of the night - a certain look in the eye on several photos of officially unrelated people would prove my theory about an earlier relative, but of course "that look" isn't evidence at all.

OC

Comment

This comes back to the whole 'nature or nurture' debate. I have a tendancy towards mechanical/technical skills, which I have always assumed I learned from my father who was a cabinet maker but could turn his hand to almost any practical skill including car mechanics and electrical work.

However I am also a good cook (so I am told!) and am good at sewing (I have made several outfits for my wife). I had no idea where these skills came from, I had assumed that I was good at them because I was good at following instructions and I mainly followed recipies and patterns to start with.

Since researching my family tree I have found a huge family connection to both bakers and tailors which I had no idea about. Also one of my cousins built a very successful company manufacturing clocks, and I have since found strong connections to the Black Forest cuckoo clock industry.

We also gave our children names that feature very strongly in our tree, which haven't appeared for a couple of generations without knowing anything further back than grandparents.

So is this some sort of genetic memory that has skipped a few generations, or pure coincidence?
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Olde Crone Holden
              I was thinking about this very thing in the middle of the night
              Now that made me laugh....;D I agree some of the strangest 'subjects' get thought about in the middle of the night

PeteW1959
              the whole 'nature or nurture' debate
              Yes there is certainly more to know and learn about that.....my thoughts are both nature/nuture....my mother always said I got my 'skills' from 'her side' ( meaning her) however since researching my dads side that is not necessarily the case

We also gave our children names that feature very strongly in our tree, which haven't appeared for a couple of generations without knowing anything further back than grandparents.
              Me too, only when I told my grandmother the very unusual name I had chosen did she tell me it was an old family name and even the different spelling on it is the same now I have researched....HOW!
              Last edited by foxyloxy; 25-05-13, 14:44.
              Foxyloxy

Comment

My brother's wife and I were both expecting our first child at the same time. She pipped me to the post by a few days and called her daughter Eleanor, which was the name I had chosen should my baby be a girl. Since doing my family history, I have discovered it was a name repeated for centuries in our family.

OC

Comment

Interesting thoughts here. There is a definite teaching line in my family on both sides which seems to have passed down the generations even to my daughter. My maternal side have plenty of carpentry skills, which have not been passed down to anybody that I know of! I have always loved writing and that seems to be something more on my paternal line. I found a Great by two grandfather who was a weaver and a distant cousin in America related to this line was fascinated to find that all her family are heavily into weaving/dressmaking/tailoring etc. I am sure there is something in the genes that gets passed on. My daughter named her son with what she thought was a fashionable boy's name, only to find it is a family name going back to the 1800's! I think she was mortified to find out she had recreated the naming pattern! When I named our son I did not realise that it was a name going back into my Scottish history!

Irish naming patterns are well known and can often distinguish one Irish family from another living in the same area. I was able recently to tell somebody looking for the same family name in the town of my ancestors that her Bernard was not part of my family, because Bernard has never been a name within my family! This obviously only relates back to the early 1900's and earlier, although the same family names were used by my parents!

I do find that I feel close to some ancestors and not to others and some really bug me because I want to know more but the information eludes me! It is weird!

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 27-05-13, 13:37.

Comment

the term made no sense when i googled it. i would say interests and skills are more likely to be genetic, as would liking the 'sound' of names or liking certain ones. my mother considered 'christiana' as a name for my sister, little knowing it has been used since the 1600's down to her great grandfather's brother, christian. does this mean liking the name is an inherited memory of sorts? probably not, just coincedence.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      the term made no sense when i googled it. i would say interests and skills are more likely to be genetic, as would liking the 'sound' of names or liking certain ones. my mother considered 'christiana' as a name for my sister, little knowing it has been used since the 1600's down to her great grandfather's brother, christian. does this mean liking the name is an inherited memory of sorts? probably not, just coincedence.
                      Think this has to be down to individual opinion as the what is nature/nurture has not been establish/proved one way or the other ....... .

I personally don't beleive humans have 'other previous lives', my thoughts are we are 'created' and we die end of....
                      I wonder, the 'I have 'seen' this before, been at this place before, know what is going to be said next' feelings, are these memories from ancestrial DNA ( as you say inherited thoughts)....... this happens too often, over too long a period of time and for so many families for it to be coincidence or is it because we are humans who always need to organise and work out a logical 'pattern' to make sense of it, such as the " bad luck comes in threes" which is not true in reality

errrrrr do I post..don't I post.......yer why not
                      Foxyloxy

Comment

Well, the way I interpret is we need answers to who we are - we were not always told the truth for whatever reason and a lot of us are on the quest to try to find out the answers - it is certainly my case. I had never heard of the term either until a couple of years ago on a French TV programme and then I realised that is what I was doing. The reason I posted this is that after several years I have finally got a half uncle to communicate - only he can tell me if my grandfather was good or bad
                        CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
                        X