1911 census, Ancestry & ref numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census, Ancestry & ref numbers

Does anyone know how to find the full reference number of a 1911 census image from Ancestry?

I have always filed my census images with file names made up from the reference number e.g. RG12-2-F97-P67.jpg

I have never had a consistent method of naming 1911 census entries; when it first came out on FMP I couldn't make head nor tail of the number and later when Ancestry had them they don't show the full reference number, only class and piece with the household schedule on the image itself.

Now I fully understand the reference number I want to rename my images to something more meaningful.

I don't have a subscription to FMP, I rely on credits so I would prefer to look up reference numbers on Ancestry where I have a subscription.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

When you view the census image, if you click on MORE at the top right of screen it brings up the source which gives a reference number which looks something like this example:

Source Citation
    Class: RG14; Piece: 6368; Schedule Number: 144
    Description
    Enumeration District: 03

I can't see any way of getting the same reference as quoted on FMP - which for this example would be:
    RG14PN6368 RG78PN309 RD114 SD1 ED3 SN144
    Elaine

Comment

thanks for that Elaine I didn't understand it either

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I had seen that but it doesn't give all of that info for every image. I have many that only have Class and Piece.

I'm not too worried about the RG78 number because that is the enumerator's summary book reference, but to uniquely identify the houshold record you need all of the rest of information.

Time to contact Ancestry I think, and ask if they plan to index their records properly in the near future!
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by PeteW1959 View Post
          I have many that only have Class and Piece.
          Just checked a few others, and yes they only have Class and Piece.

Let us know what response you get from Ancestry.
          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Just checked a few others, and yes they only have Class and Piece.

Let us know what response you get from Ancestry.
            The transcript view has the other details such as the Piece No and Schedule number but it's shown in the body of the transcript record rather than at the bottom where for other censuses it gives the complete reference number.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
            X