1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census

It may be that I am behind the times but I have only just noticed that they have now removed the restriction to see the infirmity column

Yeah it's an update that happened last month I think, I haven't gone through all of mine yet to see what's changed.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

that's a bit late isn't it? it should have been done and waiting for upload at the end of 2011.

Comment

What seems to have been forgotten is that to show the redacted column the census provider had to rework the database.
        It is not simply removing the covering but re-indexing the entire census for the new images.
        This is almost as big a job as providing the census in the first place.

It could net be done prior to the beginning of 2012 (not 2011) because the images were not released to providers prior to that.

The real question is why was the complete column redacted in the first place, when to do so was unlawful.
        The information Commissioner ruled on the subject in 2006 and required that each entry was viewed on its own merits and that if the entry contained sensitive information (under the terms of the act) that information could be redacted.

Cheers
        Guy
        Last edited by Guy; 23-05-13, 06:02.
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
          What seems to have been forgotten is that to show the redacted column the census provider had to rework the database.
          It is not simply removing the covering but re-indexing the entire census for the new images.
          This is almost as big a job as providing the census in the first place.

It could net be done prior to the beginning of 2012 (not 2011) because the images were not released to providers prior to that.

The real question is why was the complete column redacted in the first place, when to do so was unlawful.
          The information Commissioner ruled on the subject in 2006 and required that each entry was viewed on its own merits and that if the entry contained sensitive information (under the terms of the act) that information could be redacted.

Cheers
          Guy
          Doing the whole column would have been the cheapest option and I expect they decided simply to wait for individuals to complain and for those instances give the full image.

Margaret

Comment

Daft question here but does this mean that 2021 will see the 1921 census go online or will we not be that lucky?

Comment

I think it is due to be released in 2022 - presumably it then has to be digitised, indexed etc.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                Daft question here but does this mean that 2021 will see the 1921 census go online or will we not be that lucky?
                At the moment they do not propose to even publish the 1921 census due to legal constraints but people are working on challenging that so we will have to wait and see!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  I think it is due to be released in 2022 - it then has to be digitised, indexed etc.
                  Have they changed their minds as I thought they weren't going to publish it???
                  Margaret

Comment

I know for a fact that my grandmother was profoundly deaf from birth. There is nothing in the infirmities column to suggest this, so the fact that there is nothing in the column when revealed doesn't mean the person didn't have an infirmity!

OC

Comment

Okies, won't be holding my hopes up then (besides granddad might not be on it with being born in August of that year)

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                        Have they changed their minds as I thought they weren't going to publish it???
                        Margaret

Quote from the 1911census.org.uk website:

The stated government position from the ONS is "its intention to release the entirety of the 1921 census returns in 2022, in accordance with the non-statutory '100 year rule' which was adopted to reflect this undertaking of confidentiality".
                        ... hopefully current and accurate!
                        Elaine

Comment

Okies, won't be holding my hopes up then (besides granddad might not be on it with being born in August of that year)
                          1921 census was taken on the night of Sunday 19th June 1921. :(
                          Elaine

Comment

Ah well, at least i'll have confirmation of were i think he was born though. That's something at least.

Comment

Ah well, at least i'll have confirmation of were i think he was born though. That's something at least.
                              How will the census give you that?

Margaret

Comment

Because if Granddad was born in August his family may have been living in the street he was born in (The Street is still in existence today)
                                He did have siblings that I can get the information from, or his parents :D

Comment

Because if Granddad was born in August his family may have been living in the street he was born in (The Street is still in existence today)
                                  He did have siblings that I can get the information from, or his parents :D
                                  on the other hand they may not!
                                  Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                    Quote from the 1911census.org.uk website:

... hopefully current and accurate!
                                    That is their office policy which is totally unlawful.
                                    By which I mean if they release the 1921 Census in 2022 they will have broken the law as there is no law that allows it to be released. If however they can come up with an argument to allow them to release it in 2022 they will still have broken the law by not allowing access today as required by the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

The 1920 Census Act as amended by the Census (Confidentiality) Act 1991 has made it unlawful to ever release any census taken under the 1920 Census Act
                                    See-
                                    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....nsus%20Act.htm click on the link at the foot to be taken to the Census (Confidentiality) Act 1991.

In addition the Freedom of Information Act 2000 makes the Census Information exempt data meaning it can never be released without a new Act of Parliament.
                                    If the data is not exempt then it could be released today.
                                    Cheers
                                    Guy
                                    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

.. so Guy, does that mean that Margaret was correct, and the census will not be released, unless there is a change in the law?
                                      Elaine

Comment

It's entirely possible that the people who wrote the note were not aware of all the legal ramifications. Guy's explanation gives a flavour of just what a legal tangle is involved.
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X