Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any connection to USA citizens BARKER Frank W c.1891, Florence E c.1894, Ellen c.1896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any connection to USA citizens BARKER Frank W c.1891, Florence E c.1894, Ellen c.1896

Desperately searching for any info on my Grandmothers family.

Cannot find any birth records or immigration/transport records

Shown in 1901 Cencus in England as USA citizens
    Miriam Barker c.1873 Married Housekeeper (maiden name unknown)
    Frank W Barker c.1891 Son
    Florence E Barker c.1894 Daughter (my Grandmother)
    Ellen c.1896 Daughter

Miriam's Husband Frederick Barker c.1870
    Listed in 1917 in Florence's 1st Marriage Cert as Deceased Ship Steward
    & in 2nd marriage as Merchant Seaman
    Nationality unknown

Cannot find any other records in England or USA of Frederick, Miriam or son Frank.

No further records of Florence until the birth of her son Cecil in 1915 (father unknown)She did recall coming to England on a ship, when she was very small.

No further records of Ellen until much later in life, when she then seems to be called Helen.

HELP!!!! Any suggestions or help VERY gratefully received.

There is a Helen Barker age 14 in a childrens home/workhouse in Morpeth in 1911, born "Baltimore USA British Parentage", which is only about 20 miles from South Shields where they are living in 1901 - have you investigated that entry ?
    Last edited by AntonyM; 22-05-13, 15:40.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

1901 ref

1901 Census
      BARKER, Ellen
      SOUTH SHIELDS, Durham
      RG13 piece 4733 folio 61 page 17
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Is the E Ernesty for Florence's middle name?
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Antony, yes i have that in my records. The info more or less fits, if this is Ellen then we can only assume Mother - Miriam has passed. Also as there's no further record of Brother - Frank perhaps he has too. But can't find any death records.

Comment

Hi Antony, yes i have that in my records. The info more or less fits, if this is Ellen then we can only assume Mother - Miriam has passed. Also as there's no further record of Brother - Frank perhaps he has too. But can't find any death records.
            Hi Elaine, got the cencus 1901, that's the only record i do have of them all. E is for Emily.
            Would love to find Frederick - Father but very little info to narrow it down. There's not even a passenger record of them travelling from USA to here......wondering if it's poss they travelled on a ship he was working on!!

Comment

found this: marriage, though I am unable to match up the names to any in the census!...

Name: Miriam Barker
              Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1904
              Registration District: South Shields
              Inferred County: Durham
              Volume Number: 10a
              Page Number: 1296
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ahhhhh she might have married John Henry BECKWITH, I have found this..which ties in with Helen being in Morpeth..

DEATH
                Name: Miriam Beckwith
                Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
                Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1909
                Age at Death: 36
                Registration District: Morpeth
                Inferred County: Northumberland
                Volume: 10b
                Page: 282
                Julie

Comment

as this was bugging me I decided to have another go, and found this:

DEATH:

Name: Frank William Barker
                  Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
                  Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1901
                  Age at Death: 9
                  Registration District: South Shields
                  Inferred County: Durham
                  Volume: 10a
                  Page: 432

if you are going to order these certs Nic, then if you don't already know, then order them direct from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

please do not order from Ancestry [as they charge extortionate prices + they get them from the GRO anyway!!] I think, though I haven't checked, the last time I looked they [Ancestry] were charging £23.00 for a £9.25 ish cert!!!
                  Julie

Comment

Thankyou Julie, I'm on Ancestry & it's never given me those results when i've searched....weird!! That's a massive breakthought!! Brilliant!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NicWhiteley View Post
                      Thankyou Julie, I'm on Ancestry & it's never given me those results when i've searched....weird!! That's a massive breakthought!! Brilliant!!!
                      if you do get the certs Nic, then do let us know what the results were please, as you say she is such an enigma, at least it might give an indication where in the USA she was living. [though I doubt it!]

I didn't look for the first husband, Fred?.. but meant to ask, how did you know that he worked on a ship? [daughters marriage cert/s?] and maybe the witness's on the certs can also offer some ideas where to look next.

which search do you use on Ancestry? new or old.. I use the new, even though they have re-jigged it again...but tend to find that less is more! it didn't bring anything up in the general search for Miriam re a marriage it wasn't until I clicked on the marriages index up to 1915 that I did look for S/Shields and then spotted this one. [likewise with the death for Frank]

sometimes it is a lot easier to do the main searching on FreeBMD, then cross ref it with Ancestry, I know they should be the same, but, sometimes they are not, [sometimes FreeBMD have entries that ancestry simply haven't got..] though I cannot understand why, as they use the same database!!.
                      Julie

Comment

You are a mine of useful info Julie!! I didn't know any of that....i just do a straight forward search!! I obviously need to start searching out of the box.

I've ordered the certs, will let you know

Comment

You are a mine of useful info Julie!! I didn't know any of that....i just do a straight forward search!! I obviously need to start searching out of the box.

I've ordered the certs, will let you know
                          FAB Nic!! it'll be interesting to see what [if any] new info you find out! :smilee:

we all search in different ways, some add as much info as they know, others use minimal info, it's best though to begin with minimal, that way you can sift through, sometimes it's better to use wildcards.. so instead of Frederick you could use Fre*** that way if someone has transcribed the name wrong, it should show up. likewise with Barker.. you can search *arker that way it should pick up Barker & Parker... [sometimes B's & P's get muddled]

best thing though, if in doubt, ask :smilee: we don't bite, and have all been there at some point :smilee:
                          Julie

Comment

Great, thanks.....will keep you informed

Comment

Great, thanks.....will keep you informed
                              :smilee:
                              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Got certs this morning, they all seem to check out!!

Frank William Barker died 10 June 1901 of Pneumonia, son of Frederick Robert Barker a Ship Steward (Merchant Service)
                                Informant M. Barker (Mother)

Miriam Barker age 32 Widow married John Henry Beckwith age 32 Bachelor (Coal Miner) on 27 Aug 1904
                                Brides father - Richard Parker Henderson, Master Mariner
                                Grooms father - William Beckwith (deceased) Coal Miner

Miriam Beckwith died 11 Jan 1909, age 36, of Cancer of Uterus.
                                Informant J.H Beckwith widower of deceased

So from that we've gained Fredericks middle name 'Robert' & Miriams fathers name Richard Parker Henderson, Master Mariner.
                                I've not had much time yet, but have had a quick look, not found anything yet.

Nicola

Comment

thats FAB news Nic, now we/you can get somewhere hopefully!! in tracking Miriam Henderson don't you just love it when a plan comes together!!
                                  Julie

Comment

couldn't resist!!

1880 USA Census: BALTIMORE, ML

Richard Henderson 29 occ WATERMAN..b. PENNSYLVANIA
                                    Emely Henderson 27 b. MARYLAND
                                    Mariam Henderson 8
                                    Annie Henderson 3
                                    John Henderson 7m

haven't got time now as school run, but will be back in a while!!..
                                    Julie

Comment

OMG!!!! in 1900 they were still in Baltimore.. get this, she [Emily Henderson] was mother to 17 children!!! [but only 5 living at the time of 1900 cens] poor soul...

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
                                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-06-13, 18:07.
                                      Julie

Comment

I cannot pinpoint anything else at the moment, Annie b. 1879 Baltimore appears to have married a Chas. H. Baker about 1899 [as it states on the 1900 that they have been married 1yr] and they have a child 'Christian G. Baker' b. 1900.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X