X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cursor keeps freezing

Good Morning
    can anyone advise me please
    my cursor keeps freezing for about a minute ...this is happening every 5 minutes ...
    I have tried to go to System Restore - but THAT only shows the date I am on the computer ...WON`T let me go back a week ??
    whilst typing this thread - it has frozen twice.
    any help appreciated
    thanks
    allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Might be a silly question, but does the battery in your mouse need replacing ??? First sign for me that that needs doing is apparent freezing of the screen ...
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks Caroline ....It`s a laptop ??
      allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Which version of Windows are you using? It makes a vast difference to what advice I give you.
        Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
        Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
        Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
        Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
          Thanks Caroline ....It`s a laptop ??
          allan
          You don't use a mouse on it then?? I can't be doing with the silly keypad. Ah well, perhaps Pete can help.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Ok - thanks Caroline
            allan

Comment

when my cursor freezes or pages are juddery it usually means I have updates that need installing, once I have done those, everything goes back to normal.

but, like Pete says, he can offer advice but needs to know what OS you are using, [windows 7, vista, xp] etc..
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie ...daft question - how do I find out what windows I am on ??
                allan

Comment

Allan - click on the START button, bottom left of screen.
                  Go to CONTROL PANEL - select SYSTEM
                  You should then be able to see which Windows OS you are using.
                  Elaine

Comment

...alternatively right click on 'My Computer' (or it might just be 'Computer' on Windows 7) and click on 'Properties'.
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                      Good Morning
                      can anyone advise me please
                      my cursor keeps freezing for about a minute ...this is happening every 5 minutes ...
                      I have tried to go to System Restore - but THAT only shows the date I am on the computer ...WON`T let me go back a week ??
                      whilst typing this thread - it has frozen twice.
                      any help appreciated
                      thanks
                      allan
                      Being unable to go back to an earlier date on Restore means you don't have it set to set restore dates so that's something that does need changing too as otherwise you are in danger of not being able to sort out problems.
                      Margaret

Comment

Thank you all ...Windows 7 Home Premium ....
                        allan

Comment

OK, click on the start button, and in the search box type taskmgr.exe and press enter.

Windows Task Manager will open up:-

taskmgr.jpg

Try to position the window where you can see it whilst you are working. When the cursor freezes, what does the top graph (CPU Usage) show, and does that freeze as well or keep running?
                          Devine in Ireland

Comment

Well....just tried that for 10 minutes - and cursor is yet to freeze ....gonna try again for another 10 minutes
                            thanks Peter
                            allan

Comment

OK Peter ..been on an hour with the task manager on and it hasn`t frozen once ???...I am mystified ..lol
                              allan
                              ADDED...next morning
                              8 minutes of Merseybeats video - froze 3 times
                              put task bar manager on - didn`t freeze once .....if that helps at all
                              thanks
                              allan
                              Last edited by garstonite; 26-05-13, 09:56.

Comment

Registry Booster 2010 wishes to add changes ??.....I can`t find Registry Booster in my All Programmes list ??....what is Registry Booster please ?....it has appeared for about 5 weeks on my laptop every morning before any other programme can appear - ie before I can get online
                                thanks
                                allan

Comment

That could be the cause of your problems, especially if you don't recall installing it. Registry Booster and many similar programs are notorious for harbouring viruses and malware.

Registry Booster in it's original form is supposed to clean up and improve the performance of your registry. However I have never come across a system that actually needed that doing, and the company preys on people's paranoia that there is something wrong with their computers.

If you didn't knowingly install it, I would suggest removing it along with any other Uniblue programs then scanning your system for malware.

This website explains how to uninstall http://www.uniblue.com/support/faq/u...rams-computer/

Then run Malwarebytes Anti Malware, which will remove any residual rubbish left behind http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Just be careful which download button you click on, as there are several on the page that link to sponsors websites and it can get a bit confusing. On the first page click on the white button that says 'Free Download' then on the next page the green button on the grey background that says 'Download Now'. Ignore any flashing buttons that are trying to grab your attention!

Once you have downloaded it, run the program and follow the instructions.
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

Thanks very much Peter - I will try that now
                                    cheers
                                    allan
                                    ADDED...All done - fingers crossed
                                    Last edited by garstonite; 28-05-13, 19:32.

Comment

I have removed Registry Booster and Internet Explorer - I am now on Google Chrome ...cursor is still freezing - I am totally baffled ...I have tried and tried to remove imesh to no avail ...computer panel - programmes - click on imesh - uninstall --it won`t uninstall...help again please
                                      thanks
                                      allan

Comment

Where is imesh showing up? If it was in Internet Explorer and isn't in Chrome, then there isn't anything to unistall now. If it is appearing in Chrome all you need to do is reset your home page. Follow the instructions here:- https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95314

As for the freezing, we still need to identify exactly what is going on. FReezes a re usually down to something running in the background hogging the processor and we need to identify what that is.

Try keeping Task Manager open again and wait for it to freeze; we are looking for the processor level shooting up to 100% (if you have a multi-core processor it may freeze at just over 25% for a quad core or 50% for a dual core, i.e. one of the cores is getting maxed out).
                                        Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
                                        X