Lost in 1871

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in 1871

If you have a spare 5 minutes - not vital. Going through my records, I note that I cannot find my GreatGrandmother in the 1871 census. Martha Anne Johnson, known as Annie was born in Belper in Nov 1851. Her family moved to Nottingham, where I have her in 1861, with father, step-mother and siblings, 1881 and 1891 with husband (Edwin Brown) and family and 1901 as a widow. She died in 1910. She married in 1876, so presumably was working somewhere in 1871, again presumably somewhere in the Nottingham area.

As I say, not vital, but would be nice to have the whole set
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

can you give us the link to the 1861 census please.
    thanks
    Jan

Comment

Hi Jan - link to Ancestry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=22207074

Ref: Class: RG 9; Piece: 2457; Folio: 103; Page: 10;

Her age is incorrect on this census - she was 9 years old, but I've a feeling that the info was given by her step-mother.
      Linda

Comment

Lots of possibilities but no one in particular stands out. If she was in service then possibly the head or whoever gave the details might not have given, or even known, her middle name or her exact age, or her place of birth. In my experience employers often guessed the details for servants, probably considering them unimportant.
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Thanks, I thought as much myself, but sometimes it helps to have fresh eyes. This is probably one that will never be found. but thanks for trying anyway.
          Linda

Comment

Linda,

do you have a relative by the name of James Taylor b. 1806? I have found this:

1871: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

No, afraid not Julie, although I haven't traced her father's side (Thomas Johnson of Derby - too many choices!). No connection with Yorkshire either. Thanks for trying though.
              Linda

Comment

might be one to bear in mind, of course she might not have been his niece, [though he could have said that to save face!]
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                X