1801 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1801 census

I have heard rumours in the past about an 1801 census and suddenly it has come to the fore again.
    Apparantly in late 1700s the Government was getting woried that it was losing its colonies and USA was about to possibly go "independent". The Government was worried about its workforce drain.
    They commissioned the Church of England to carry out a census (the 1801 census). It is apparantly not a census such as we have every 10 years but is more to do with occupants of the house, whether male or female and ages and most importantly what work they do - the work-type is dived into 4 groups: Professional, Technical, Blue Collar and Labourers.

Occasionally I have seen on GENUKI that one of these census survives for a certain place but I have recently been told that they may be held at Lambeth Palace - there is a C of E Repository apparantly. It is open to the public in the way TNA is BUT you have to make an appointment and furnish them with 2 passport photos!

Just thought I would put this on a) hoping that it IS true and b) that it may help someone.

There is a website for the Lambeth Palace Archives - have to admit I haven't got very far with it but more competent users of computers will I am sure but I saw no sign of the census on there. Sue

here you go Sue... information on the 1801

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have seen one of these for a part of Lancashire, can't remember which part, sorry!

From a genealogical point of view it was useless as it didn't record any names other than the head of house and even that was just a surname.

However, I have seen an 1819 census for part of Lancashire, carried out by a local chapel. This is a wonderful document as it records names, place of baptism, names of grandparents, where the parents married and lots of scurrilous information such as "her child by Mr Fortescue of the Hall" or "this couple not married, he has a wife in Stockport".
      OC

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
        ... about an 1801 census...the Government was getting woried that it was losing its colonies and USA was about to possibly go "independent".
        ahem...1776 is what I learned in school...;)
        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 18-05-13, 21:36.

Comment

The one for Southrepps Norfolk is on Genuki and it names my 4 gt grandfather and states he has 3 children.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

ahem...1776 is what I learned in school...

Oh Dear, I suspect I did learn that date at school but ...............many years have passed!!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I have seen one of these for a part of Lancashire, can't remember which part, sorry!

From a genealogical point of view it was useless as it didn't record any names other than the head of house and even that was just a surname.

However, I have seen an 1819 census for part of Lancashire, carried out by a local chapel. This is a wonderful document as it records names, place of baptism, names of grandparents, where the parents married and lots of scurrilous information such as "her child by Mr Fortescue of the Hall" or "this couple not married, he has a wife in Stockport".
              OC
              What a wonderful document! I know how I felt when I discovered that my great grandmother's brother was a bigamist. I had to dig a bit further and find out what happened. (They moved to Australia and lived happily ever after!).
              Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

OC
                preston is one area which has this, but that was only the catholic population, so that was dissapointing when i learned it.

Comment

Julie -
                  Thanks for the link. This thread ties into the one I started about 1811-1831 censuses. EoLHS told me that they don't sell the disks anymore, but kindly did a look up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                    Julie -
                    Thanks for the link. This thread ties into the one I started about 1811-1831 censuses. EoLHS told me that they don't sell the disks anymore, but kindly did a look up for me.
                    ahhh Sarah! I knew I had done something about this for someone...lol. though it is handy to know that there are some records out there!..
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X