William Black Vickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Black Vickers

I'm sure most of you remember me telling you that one of Granddad Lennon's sister's had done the tree but died before anything could be found, well I found a little more information today. It turns out that she had been focusing on her Dad's side of the family but she died before she could actually show Great Uncle * it. So I thought I might surprise him a little by finding his family for him. I always thought that Cecilia (their Mother) had a different child with every man but it turns out that Granddad and Edward (dead) may have shared the same Father and the rest of the children shared the same Father. However I've put Vickers as the Surname with Lennon as the mother's maiden name and only gotten 4 children, one girl is missing.

William Black Vickers, I searched Ancestry for that specific name and got a death- http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

Dad has confirmed that it is the Father, the tricky part is that I've gotten a birth hint of this: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...9_h50257421764 but * said today that his Dad was born in Staines or something like that. What do I go with?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Those two links don't match up.
    The death registration for William Black Vickers show a birth date of 29 Oct 1914.
    The birth registration for William Vickers shows a birth in 1916 1st quarter.

If you know the death registration is correct then I would ignore the birth registration.

.. other than that, I am confused! Who is William Vickers and what exactly are you looking for ?????
    Elaine

Comment

Have you found a death for William? My guess would be possibly this one - William Vickers - born 15th November 1915 - Died Feb 1984 aged 68 - Durham Western, Durham ref Volume 1 Page 1712.

Sorry, I have just realised that you said that you knew 'your' William was William Black Vickers. Back to the drawing board.
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-05-13, 10:28.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

to me it looks like WB Vickers is the father to Grandad/Great uncle **

so the next step would be praps a marriage? [IF they married!] and/or a birth cert for WBV.. [but, with a name like Black as a middle name it shouts at me illegitimacy] [so he could have been born/registered William BLACK]
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sorry guys I was in a rush because 11 is the time that the Laptop comes off.

Granddad and Edward Lennon MAY share the same father but registered in Cecilia's name.

* and the four girls are the children of WBV and Cecilia.

I did a search in Ancestry with just the name as it's so odd. Forname: William and Surname: Black Vickers brought nothing up but using Black as a middle name brought the death up, that death gave me the birth hint which is why I was so confused. * has the Black Vickers part and he's passed it onto his children and little Grandson (has the oddest name of them all)

Dad said last night that WBV & Cecilia did get married.

I've found his first marriage and that's in the Black name http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ennon%26so%3d2

Comment

I daren't look at your links Sarah because they are in the new search format and everytime I do it makes my links revert to new search and I have to go through the process of putting it back to old search again.

Comment

That can't be right, a marriage in 1922, if he was born 1914/1916?????????
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                Dad said last night that WBV & Cecilia did get married.

I've found his first marriage and that's in the Black name http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ennon%26so%3d2
                Sarah, how can that be his first marriage - dated 1922, yet the death registration you have found gives his date of birth as 1914.

SNAP with Janet !!
                Elaine

Comment

Oh bleep it. Sorry guys, once again I'm jumping the gun here, mind you there isn't actually a Spouse so maybe it's a transcription? Of to check Stockton Roots & Tees Valley Genealogy.

Comment

Stockton Roots has 3 marriages between 1920-1990 and the Black one is there to an Annie Clews.

Tees Valley had none matching the names I need so I guess that's out.

I'm wondering if Dad meant that they didn't marry but did live together and registered the children under his name?

Comment

There is a spouse (Clews) on other sites, and also possible children 1922 - 1931. However, apart from 1931 in Durham, the other earlier births were in India, Gibraltar and the West Indies - suggesting perhaps a soldier, or employment as civil servant etc?????
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Stockton Roots has 3 marriages between 1920-1990 and the Black one is there to an Annie Clews.
                        Where on Stockton Roots does it say that William B Vickers was William Black Vickers?
                        Elaine

Comment

Does the Stockton Roots entry have Black as William's married name? My sources have only listed the groom as William B (snap, Elaine)
                          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 18-05-13, 12:10.
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've gone back to their children. 2 were born in Oldham and the other 2 here in Stockton, that still leaves one child to find.

What makes it more difficult is that none of the children liked the names that they were born with. * just shortened his as did Granddad, Oldham 1 changed it to match her Aunt (Mystery solved thread) and Kathleen (Dead, Oldham 2) kept hers the same, the other Stockton one went by her middle name by the looks of it.

I'll happily PM someone the names.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Where on Stockton Roots does it say that William B Vickers was William Black Vickers?
                              It didn't, I matched it with Ancestry and assumed it was Black on Roots aswell.

Comment

I can't see how you have matched it on Ancestry. The only reference to Black as a middle name that I can see for certain is the death registration - have you (or has anyone else) found another reference that I've missed?
                                In any case, the William B Vickers marriage in 1922 cannot be him as he was only born in the 1910s.

Have you any other reference to the Black middle name?
                                Are you 100% certain that the death you found for William Black Vickers is for your William Vickers?
                                Elaine

Comment

Right .. thanks to a few spare credits I had on SP.

There is a William Black Vickers born 1914 in Cambuslang, Glasgow, Lanarkshire in 1914.

There is a marriage for William Black Vickers to CL in 1945 Glasgow.
                                  Elaine

Comment

My Aunt is on her way to drop Dad off so I'll try to ask about William. (He did live near the house that I'm in now which is Hardwick, I can't give a proper address for safety reasons) Scrap that, she's here and I've now got to go and visit another Aunt, * sister, which I'm not looking forwards to at all.

In regards to the missing child- she is must be registered under Vickers as I've just found one of her children's births and it does have Vickers for the Mother's name.

Comment

Well done and good thinking Elaine
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 18-05-13, 12:43.

Comment

Never assume anything, back it up with FACT
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X