Why on earth ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why on earth ?

Just found a match in another tree for one of mine on Ancestry, so clicked on it and? well person is a Robert Hooper born abt 1856 Somerset this person has a Birth attached to him for a Albert Henry Hooper born 1883 ? so dont think it will be any help to me .:conf:

Err that's certainly odd indeed, what do Robert & Albert Henry have to do with each other? Either it's a wrong birth or there's a sibling that you haven't found but the other person has.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Some people add anything to their tree, Robert had no other siblings after 1871 so dont know who this Albert is .

Comment

I think sometimes people download great chunks of information from trees and then upload it en masse to their own tree. In the process, things sometimes go awry and the data gets jumbled. They don't bother to check what they've added so can't see that it has generated "grave errors" - people dying before they're born, 3 yr olds becoming parents, others living to be 250, my rellies dying in Norfolk Mass USA instead of Norfolk England UK etc etc. (The usual rubbish we all complain about.) Alternatively they want to copy an image from one tree to another and click on the wrong thing when attempting to make a link.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
          Alternatively they want to copy an image from one tree to another and click on the wrong thing when attempting to make a link.
          ..... and don't know how to correct their errors and aren't members here to be able to get help .....

I think sometimes we are very scathing of the glaringly obvious error, sometimes caused by mistakes using software, but come on, how many of you haven't made any yourself???

I made a big one once, making my ggg grandmother's date of burial 100 years later than her death. A typo of course but it stayed online for all to see for a couple of years before I noticed it. Since nobody told me, I hope nobody noticed, but I bet there were some who ran around dissing my whole research because of it but never told me so that it could be corrected.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
            I made a big one once, making my ggg grandmother's date of burial 100 years later than her death. A typo of course but it stayed online for all to see for a couple of years before I noticed it. Since nobody told me, I hope nobody noticed, but I bet there were some who ran around dissing my whole research because of it but never told me so that it could be corrected.
            I think it more likely that it appeared to go un-noticed because no-one bothered to check the info they discovered on your tree. I once confused 1720/1/2 burial dates for Thomas father and Thomas his son on a paper I shared with someone - this error now pops up all over the place. I'm shocked by two things: 1) the way my research has been passed around, internationally 2) the fact that NO-ONE bothered to try and check the dates in the original parish registers, although I gave my source to the initial recipient, but blindly accepted a whole host of 1720 - 1780 events purely on the say so of an unknown person.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think the on line tree repositories themselves must take some of the blame for this. I don't know if things have changed recently as I don't edit my tree on line any more, I upload gedcoms.

However not all that long ago at least one of the the online trees INSISTED on a date of birth being entered. If you didn't know it the advice given was to make a guess as even a wrong date of birth was better than none! I wonder how many trees there are out there with dates of birth that have been guessed and never updated.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

I cant see how you could possibly attach the birth record of a man to a completely different man 27 years younger , you do get the option on Ancestry when doing a tree if its a match or not.
                Anyway had another look and most of it is wrong.

Comment

i think the case in telling someone their information is wrong, is the presumption that 90% will not change it. either because they never go online, or they don't think it's incorrect.

but most of the time, it is an obvious error, and i wonder how they missed it.

Comment

Working...
                  X