St Olave (Bermondsey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Olave (Bermondsey)

My g/grandfather, Robert MILLS died 19th May 1918.
    A have a copy of my g/grandfather's death certificate as follows
    Reg Dist St Olave Bermondsey, sub dist Rotherhithe in the County of London.
    Place of death is shown as Bermondsey Infirmary and informant is Assistant Superintendant Alexander Robertson.
    I take it this is Bermondsey Union Workhouse/Infirmary. I've looked online (ancestry.com) for details of this but can't find any entry for him-any ideas?

Not sure what entry you refer to but if an entry in the death index, there is this one (you don't say when he was born).

Robert Mills Apr - Jun 1918 age 86, St Olave, 1d/217
    Last edited by Guest; 17-05-13, 18:35.

Comment

Details of St Olave Workhouse can be found at http://www.workhouses.org.uk/StOlave/

D

Comment

From his age at death he would have been born c1832. You should be able to find him in the 1911 census and then going back to 1841. Do you know where he was born and details of his wife and family?
        Margaret

Comment

I'm trying to find out when he was admitted, where he was buried and anything else which may have been documented about his time in the workhouse/infirmary.
          He was born 1835 in Sutton at Hone. Luckily l've found him in all census since 1841. In 1911 census he is shown to be residing Dartford Union Workhouse and Infirmary.
          Did he ever leave Dartford workhouse to go home or was he moved directly to the Bermondsey workhouse? I don't believe he is buried locally at St Pauls Swanley Village so I suppose he was buried in the cemetery in Surrey where the workhouse dead were buried. His wife Jane (TURNER) is buried at St Pauls on her own.
          Hope this helps.
          Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
          From his age at death he would have been born c1832. You should be able to find him in the 1911 census and then going back to 1841. Do you know where he was born and details of his wife and family?
          Margaret

Comment

Hi Terry there are a few Trees on Ancestry with him and his wife also a couple of lovely photos and a lot of info,Lizzy

Comment

Working...
            X