a little help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little help..

ok so im a little stuck... i have my grandad... william george born aug 1924 lower holloway i have short certificate...birth index on ancestry says mothers maiden name flanagan.i know his dad was sidney george as it was on william georges marriage certificate,stated occupation builders labourer. found a marriage for sidney george in 1907 "Rate Flanagan" which when document was opened turned out more likely to be kate flanagan thought id found williams mother but states sidneys birth as 1975-6 therefore would make him quite old to be williams father... also found possible siblings on birth index phyllis F george (1920)alice george 1926 (i think she died at birth) found death certificate..dorothy m george (1922)also appeared to have died at birth... any help or theorys? or any further info anyone can give. also sidney would of died before 1949 as on williams death certificate states sidney was deceased...thanks in advance

in 1911 there is a Sidney George born abt 1875 Holloway a Bricklayers Labourer wife Kate Sophia born abt 1881 Holloway living in Islington says married 5 years
    so reckon that marriage is the right one in 1907 and its not unknown for a woman to have a baby at 45 my nan had her last one when she was 46

Comment

i found that census but was unsure as i cant find a explanation for "sophia".

Comment

what do you mean ?? I notice she had named one of her daughters Anne Sophia

Comment

her name in the census is kate sophia george i have her maiden name as flanagan and on marriage certiificate as kate flanagan..soo not sure why the sophia..x

Comment

oh I see , its not unknown for people to use their middle name sometimes but not always.

Comment

There's a death in Islington in Q/E June 1949 for Sidney George aged 73. He would have been born about 1876
              Jackie

Comment

found a birth for a Kate Sophia Flannigan in Pancras Sep 1885 ?? 1B 149 which would mean if its the right one she would have been abt 39 when William was born
                Last edited by Guest; 16-05-13, 20:38.

Comment

thanks i think this could possibley be her :-)

Comment

there is a Kate Flanigan a servant born abt 1885 says Highgate ?? in 37 St Johns Park Islington

Comment

A man is never too old to father a child, my father was 59 at my birth and mother 20 years his junior. Many years ago some families were born 25 or more years apart from youngest to oldest....Edna

Comment

I would think there were a few more children born between 1911 and 1920?

EDIT - yes, I'm seeing at least 8 births after 1911.

OC
                        Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 16-05-13, 22:24.

Comment

As there is a very tidy gap in the births of the children between 1915 and 1920, I would think that's a good indication that Sidney was away on active service during WW1.

OC

Comment

According to www.deceasedonline.com Sidney & Kate are buried in Islington Cemetery:

last name George
                            first names Sidney
                            Burial date 13 Jun 1949
                            Authority London Borough of Islington
                            Location Islington Cemetery (Islington)

last name George
                            first names Kate Sophia
                            Burial date 24 Jul 1936
                            Authority London Borough of Islington
                            Location Islington Cemetery (Islington)

Comment

Kate's death on FreeBMD - confirms she was born c1885:

Deaths Sep 1936
                              George Kate S 51 Islington 1b 120

Comment

if you don't have the full details of the birth cert for your grandfather, i suggest you order the full cert from the GRO using the freebmd index.

Comment

thanks ever so much for all your help im very greatful :-)

Comment

found this http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/19...l=ReturnRecord am i correct in thinking the second probate from the top kate george can be ruled out as my "kate" and this is in fact another kate george? regards

Comment

Well, did they ever live at the address given? Is Louis a possible first name for your Sidney? Did your Kate die in 1936?

If all of these are answered No then I think you can rule it out.

Margaret

Comment

i looked on my kates 1936 census and she lived at cromwell rd which ive looked up and is also in ilford essex. ive only ever seen him referred to as sidney in census and electrol rolls. according to what people have helped with she died september 1936 so im assuming the 1936 electrol roll was recorded in the first half of 1936 and thats why she features on it

Comment

Working...
                                        X