Question for Nottingham posters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Nottingham posters

Can anyone tell me, please, or tell me where to find out, where The Bull pub was in Nottm city centre in the mid ninetennth century ?

Thanks

Have you tried Historical Directories?
    Elaine

Comment

If you can get Julie out of the kitchen, she'll know.

Comment

The 1858 Nottm Directory doesn't have a Bull pub "in town". There's a Black Bull in Chapel Bar and a Bull's Head in Fisher Gate.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Hmm....thank you. According to the Nottm Guardian, my ggg grandfather was arrested for attempted murder in The Bull...he'd fled the scene of the crime up Byard Lane, so I don't know whether he'd have had to dive into the nearest one of the two or managed to get to the further one. This particular family's history reads like a punk version of The Archers, so The Bull is quite appropriate.

Comment

Can you give an approximate date. Searching the census by address may help pinpoint the public house.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
              The 1858 Nottm Directory doesn't have a Bull pub "in town". There's a Black Bull in Chapel Bar and a Bull's Head in Fisher Gate.
              Fishergate is more or less in the town centre I think. (Near the Lace Market?).... and according to Googlemaps Byard Lane is about half a mile from Fishergate Chapel Bar is in the opposite direction - about half a mile away (just to be helpful)
              Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 16-05-13, 20:35.
              Barbara

Comment

Thanks, everyone. I think it was probably the one in Fishergate because that would have been more in the proximity of where he lived & may have been where he expected to find friends who would help him. He'd have had to double back to Chapel Bar & probably touch on the main square in Nottm...& I'm pretty sure there'd have been a police station there (I can still remember a small one). Chapel Bar may have been the more clever strategy, but I don't think he was clever enough to have pulled it off.....& the police would have probably been less likely to have gone there quickly enough to apprehend him...they'd have seen him running in the general direction of Fisher Gate. If it had been the Chapel Bar pub, I think the newspaper would have called it the Black Bull.
                Last edited by greyingrey; 17-05-13, 11:18.

Comment

Greyingrey There are pictures of Byard Lane on Picture the past
                  Kathleen

Comment

pub,public house,inn,tavern,old inn,old tavern,camra,brewery,brewing,real ale,beer,lager,publican,beer festival,closed pub,defunct pub,lost pub,old pub,pub photos,old pub photos,pub history

It isn't in the lost pubs project, and 'city centre' is a wide area with the Victoria Centre and the Broadmarsh Centre being built which is some walk between them so it is either still there ( I don't know of one) with or without a name change
                    Foxyloxy

Comment

The Cross Keys is in Byard Lane http://www.crosskeysnottingham.co.uk/
                      Last edited by foxyloxy; 26-05-13, 12:10.
                      Foxyloxy

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
                        If you can get Julie out of the kitchen, she'll know.
                        cheeky! Alan... x
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X