I'm puzzled here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm puzzled here.

I have a lot of people that share the same names etc so forgive me if you've read most of this information before but one of my connections (Stockton Ancestry/Military man) indicated that Emily Phillips (Robert & Hannah's) had died before the age of 10 in Middlesbrough with her brother Harry, I've been searching ever since for Emily's death with no luck, I found Harry's as 1897 Stockton-on-Tees. Yesterday Ancestry added 2 new hints to my tree.

A Marriage and a Census, guess who's they were?

I haven't added them to my tree thinking that they were wrong but when I looked at the tree of one of my other connections I noticed that they had added them to their tree so naturally I then clicked on both the Marriage and the Census and the previous census records of my Emily were at the side as suggested records, however I've found that I can't truly rely on information at the side so I'm asking if anyone else thinks it's definitely my Emily?

Marriage:

Census:
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

The only way I think you can be sure is either to buy the certificate or to find the entry in the parish registers, which would then confirm the name of Emily's father.
    Elaine

Comment

Okies, I've noticed that there's 3 names on the Marriage- Emily, George William & Jane Ann Watson. So why isn't there a witness for Emily I wonder?

Comment

The three names that you see are the three names that have been transcribed from the marriage register. There are usually 4 names, I would presume one has been mistranscribed.
        They are not witnesses - the four names are two couples who married each other.
        You cannot tell who married who - they are transcribed in alphabetical order.
        I'll see if I can find who the 4th person should be!
        Elaine

Comment

These are the 4 names from the parish register transcription (source freeBMD)

Marriages Jun 1907
          ASCOUGH George
          PHILLIPS Emily
          WATSON George William
          WATSON Jane Ann
          Stockton 10a 127

They are transcribed in alphabetical order so you need to work out whether George Watson married Emily Phillips or Jane Ann Watson.
          You can sometimes do this by finding them in the following census.
          I think the pairing you have is correct because I can see a 1911 census entry for George Ascough with wife Jane Ann (Stockton).
          Elaine

Comment

Plus searching Mundia also brings up a try with Jane A Watson as a sibling of George W Watson.

Comment

According to this site Emily married George Watson. http://www.middlesbrough-indexes.co.uk/search.php

Comment

This appears to be the marriage from Family Search

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                  Plus searching Mundia also brings up a try with Jane A Watson as a sibling of George W Watson.
                  They may well be siblings but it is not showing witnesses, it shows two couples marrying.
                  Elaine

Comment

True. Ancestry also brings up 5 more children with Phillips Mother, Watson Surname, Stockton and between 1900-1920 however that doesn't mean to say that they are the children of this couple, especially as the 2 from the Census aren't on the list.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                      True. Ancestry also brings up 5 more children with Phillips Mother, Watson Surname, Stockton and between 1900-1920 however that doesn't mean to say that they are the children of this couple, especially as the 2 from the Census aren't on the list.
                      Sarah, the two children shown on the census wont show up in the BMD index on Ancestry with surname of Watson and mother's maiden name of Phillips - because the mother's maiden name was only recorded after 1911 3rd qtr. births.
                      You may find MMN on births earlier than that by using local BMD sites, such as the Tees Valley one that you use.
                      Elaine

Comment

That might explain a few things then.

Comment

Working...
                        X