Read a street please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read a street please?

Anyone have any idea what this street says please? I can read 47 Wood..... Street and then it becomes unreadable.

It's for my Granddad's Uncle's Baptism (Can't believe that Robert was a Policeman at some point)

P.S. I have cropped all the other entries out of the image.. 4th down on the right if you can't see the one above.

Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Woodchester
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Cheers for that STG..

Comment

Woodchester Street was just off the Harrow Road, it was demolished some time ago, but there is a Woodchester Square now roughly in the same place.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Would it have been near a Police Station do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
            Would it have been near a Police Station do you know?
            The nearest station now would be Harrow Road, but the current building wasn't built until 1911 - there may have been a previous station on or near the site.

There are a huge amount of Metroploitan Police records held at Kew in The National Archives (in the MEPO series), which include service records, attestation registers and pension/leaving records.
            Last edited by AntonyM; 14-05-13, 16:47.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Doom, I can't exactly go and see if they hold anything on Robert.

At least Granddad Albi was right though, he always did say that one of his Grandfather's was a Policeman, he just had the wrong person.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                Doom, I can't exactly go and see if they hold anything on Robert.

At least Granddad Albi was right though, he always did say that one of his Grandfather's was a Policeman, he just had the wrong person.
                Paddington Green Police Station - it was D Division of the Met and would probably have been there in your relatives time of service. This was the Metropolitan Police of course and there are some Met Police records kept by themselves. I used to have an E-address for this (they were very helpful) and I will see if I can find it and get back to you.

Sue

Comment

Cheers Sue, I did find a Police Order website through National Archives, I'm currently waiting to hear back from them.

Comment

"Paddington Green Police Station - it was D Division of the Met and would probably have been there in your relatives time of service. This was the Metropolitan Police of course and there are some Met Police records kept by themselves. I used to have an E-address for this (they were very helpful) and I will see if I can find it and get back to you........................."

I'm back........What I found was:

Metropolitan Police Historical Museum,
                    Unit 7, Meridian Estate,
                    Bugsby Way, Charlton, S.E.7 7SJ
                    Phone: 020 8305 2824 - there is no E-address

This looks to be a very old phone number to me (4 digits for main no.). I have a feeling that they may well re-direct you to the National Archives. I haven't looked because I don't know my way around the Catalogue (far too complicated for me) but maybe those Police Records are available online at TNA.

There was a Police Website I found online which goes wayback to PC1 (must have been Dixon of Dock Green) but is probably too early for your ancestor - I am afraid a lot of the websites I was looking at at the time related to Essex and the City of London.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Sue
                    Last edited by Sue1; 15-05-13, 15:30. Reason: correction

Comment

It's perfectly fine Sue, at least I have more proof that he was a Policeman though, there's 1 census & 2 Baptisms for London with Policeman/ Constable on them as the rest were born closer to Stockton.

Robert married Hannah Cornforth in Houghton Le Spring, 1866. The first child was born in 1870, the second being born in 1871 and his third in North Ormesby, 1874 so the family were barely in London 10 years before moving back home. He certainly liked to change his Occupation though.

Comment

Working...
                      X