Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Trees

Hi All

I have fit a new hard drive to my PC and I am trying to import my Family trees ( 3 ) from my Old drive to my new one , but when I try to import from the old drive and click on the file there is nothing there , but when I check in Explorer they are all there .

I have double clicked on them and the open up FTM but there is no tree there , as anyone any idea of what to do , I have done this before but I can not remember what I did , so I know it can be done .

cheers

spike

Have you copied the data files from your old drive to your new drive BEFORE trying to open them?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Not sure , I have 2 hard drives on my PC old and new , the old drive is where I used to run FTM from , I have copied the Folder containing the FTM files to a Folder on my new drive , so I am not sure whether I have run them initaily from the Old or New drive , all the files show up in the folder on both drives when I look at them through Windows explorer , but when I go to import from the programe and browse to the same folders there is no files showing in the folders , it is if the files are in a different format ( .ftmb than what the programe is looking for ! .

cheers

spike

Comment

If the files are on your computer, regardless of which drive they are on, then I am not sure why you want to IMPORT.
        Have you tried FILE -> OPEN

You say you can see the files via Windows Explorer - what is the file extension of the files?

I am not sure why you have installed a second disk and what you are using it for. If you are using the new disc for program installations etc. then have you reinstalled the FTM program onto you new drive - I don't just mean copying the FTM file folder to the new drive but actually reinstalling the program from the original CD? Make sure you know which hard drive is being used to run the program and which hard drive you are using for file storage!
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Yes I have opened FTM and tried file open to both drives , but there is no files shown in the FTM folder the folder is shown but nothing in it is shown , but when I check in explorer and open the folder all the files are there in both drives , the extension to them, either a main file or a backup is .ftmb .

I have put a second and larger hard drive in my PC for 2 reasons one for more space and the other is the Older drive is starting to be noisy maybe it will pack up in the near future , I am just going to use it to download movies etc to it .

I have installed FTM on to my new drive .

cheers

spike

Comment

What happens when you double click on the ftmb file (or right click and OPEN) - does it open up in FTM? If not do you get an error message?
            Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine

Yes it does open up FTM , but there is no tree or file loaded with it .

cheers

spike

Comment

I'll send you a private message Spike.
                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                X