Forces Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forces Records

Just wondering, has anyone used the forces records website, forces-war-records.co.uk/ ?
    I have had a quick look and there seems to be info that may be of use to me.
    But there is a sub to see the records, before taking the plunge and investing has anyone used it and is the information relevant or just general stuff that can be got on Ancestry or FMP?

Thanks
    Julie

Smile, it confuses people.

Some previous threads about it Julie ..

Questions, answers and general information about your family history research.

The first link includes a comment from someone directly involved with the site.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I think I may ponder on this a while, I have checked and they show records for my Grandfather who was with the RFC. I am not able to access this on Ancestry.
      Julie

Comment

I can't imagine that site has RFC service records, which would presumably be the records you'd be most interested in. I'd recommend checking their list of databases to see what they actually have. Was he an officer or an airman? If an officer, some RFC records can be downloaded from the National Archives website. If an airman, they are available from the National Archives, but are not online.
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I haven't been able to find any info on my grandfathers ww1 service record. But when I entered his name on the Forces website it came up with a possible hit. It says that he was an Air Mechanic 3rd class. Which he probably was as he was only 18.
          So yes I was surprised to find any information. I found that Officers were on the National Archives website.
          I think further checking to find what infomation that they would have before taking the plunge and taking a sub.
          Julie

Comment

Jules

What was his name?
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

His name was Cyril Rowe born, Shropshire in 1900. He was injured very soon after conscription ? signing up ? and I have a photograph of him in his hospital blues. Dad told me that he was hurt in a accident with a lorry, and almost lost is leg. But other than that I have no other information of his service record.
              He had no middle name.
              Last edited by Jules; 14-05-13, 09:54.
              Julie

Comment

There's this record for a Cyril Rowe, Airman, at the National Archives

AIR 79/1268/140816
                Description:

Name: Cyril Rowe.

Date:
                [1918-1928]

It's not online though, so would have to be looked at, to see if it is for the right man. This man , as C Rowe, with service number 140816 appears in the 1918 RAF Muster on FMP and I believe the Forces War Records site also has this Muster, so perhaps that explains the hit you found on the site.

Comment

Working...
                X