Ancestry, London Electoral Rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry, London Electoral Rolls

Has anyone got the knack of how to search them, please?

I see that Ancestry says it used "text recognition software", but it seems to me that the software wasn't that good at recognising text. They're all over the shop.

Doesn't help I suppose that my knowledge of London geography is about zero.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks
    STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Who are you looking for? Need any help?
    Moggie

Comment

I'll PM you, maundarby.

Comment

Hi - Were you successful SmallTownGirl? I have used them on several occasions and with a little bit of effort found what I was looking for?

Comment

> Were you successful ?

Not really, no. Maunderby found some for me, but what I'm looking for is how to find someone when I know their name, but don't actually know their address.

Say, for instance, I know that Nellie Davies lived in Alderbrook Road, Balham until abt. 1953, but then moved elsewhere in London and was living for a few years with her youngest daughter whom I can't name here because she might still be alive.

As far as I can see all I can specify in the search is the name of the person I'm looking for (say Nellie Davies) and the decade of the ERs that I'd like to find them on (say 1950s), but when I do that I get pages and pages of Nellie Davies records dating from 1925. Then when I wade through the pages until I get to the 1950s and look at the actual image, the names are all over the place and some bear no relation to what's on the actual page.

If there's a knack, I've defo not got it. :(
          Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 13-05-13, 18:51.

Comment

Working...
          X