probate records in USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probate records in USA?

I was just pondering if you could get/online copies of wills/probate for people that have died in the USA

does anyone know please?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

is this any help
    Your FREE genealogy starting point with more than 317,000 genealogy links, categorized & cross-referenced, in more than 200 categories.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      Thanks Val, flipping typical though Connecticut isn't on it.. :(
      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        thanks Val, I have looked there and found a link to CSL [Connecticut State Library] which looks sort of promising. :smilee: x
        Julie

Comment

Might have been kylejustin who gave this link:

No, never mind that link - I thought probate records were included, but apparently not.

It's usually county by county (not even state by state). Some may be online, others not - also may depend on how long ago.
          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 11-05-13, 23:50.

Comment

state archives is probably the best bet julie. if they don't have them, they should be able to tell you who does.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              Might have been kylejustin who gave this link:

No, never mind that link - I thought probate records were included, but apparently not.

It's usually county by county (not even state by state). Some may be online, others not - also may depend on how long ago.
              we are talking 1907 and 1941 Sarah.. The 1907 is for Henry Lydall and the 1941 William Foulds Jr.

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              state archives is probably the best bet julie. if they don't have them, they should be able to tell you who does.
              thanks Kyle.. i'll have a shuftie..
              Julie

Comment

Are you having any luck? I was actually thinking older than that. I've looked for probates in Illinois, Pennsylvania & California - all records were held at the county level. The California county had an online index but it was only for more recent years (1985 & greater, I think).

If you google the county's name and "county clerk" I think you'll get the contact info, and details about retrieving from archives.

Also, have you checked familysearch's catalog? They have an amazing number of US probate records.
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 12-05-13, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                  Are you having any luck? I was actually thinking older than that. I've looked for probates in Illinois, Pennsylvania & California - all records were held at the county level. The California county had an online index but it was only for more recent years (1985 & greater, I think).

If you google the county's name and "county clerk" I think you'll get the contact info, and details about retrieving from archives.

Also, have you checked familysearch's catalog? They have an amazing number of US probate records.
                  ooh no Sarah, I hadn't thought about FS.. I know both the Lydall family and the Foulds's were 'money' just seems odd that I can't find any records of wills.. [but maybe they are there, i'm just not looking in the right place + right criteria!]

will have a gleg at FS now..
                  Julie

Comment

I'll send a PM too, but please let me know which dates/names should be searched.

Thanks
                    Sarah

Comment

have sent you a PM Sarah..
                      Julie

Comment

Working...
                      X