Can someone read something please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone read something please

(Sorry, I couldn't upload the image for some reason)

It's 1851 census:
    HO107; Piece: 1653; Folio: 30; Page: 32

It's the place of birth of the 2nd name from the top: Olive Ayres (Aris) born "Cafford" Hants.

I can't find any place remotely resembling Cafford in Hants!

Thank you.

EDIT, just realised I can't read most of the other places of birth for the rest of the family either. ooops
    I can make out Ripley and Lewes and that's about it.
    Last edited by bev&kev; 11-05-13, 18:19.

Looks like Cafford to me too. The one after that is Haselmere
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The nearest approximate name to Cafford that I can find is Cufaude near Old Basing or Bramley area.
      No idea how one would pronounce that......

Comment

Thanks ladies, that's a possibility Gwyn.

Comment

Quick way to find them on FMP is to look for Paul as first name, ignore surname, and specify birth year and place of residence. Paul is probably the least common of these first names.

Comment

Originally posted by col48 View Post
            Quick way to find them on FMP is to look for Paul as first name, ignore surname, and specify birth year and place of residence. Paul is probably the least common of these first names.
            Even quicker was to use the census reference that Terri gave. but perhaps your post was meant to be an answer to Webwiz on her Ancestry lookup thread as I see there was a Paul listed in the family she was searching for.
            Last edited by JudithM; 11-05-13, 21:04.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
              Even quicker was to use the census reference that Terri gave. but perhaps your post was meant to be an answer to Webwiz on her Ancestry lookup thread as I see there was a Paul listed in the family she was searching for.
              Was a bit confused there! I've tried looking for them on later censuses, but as they are gypsies, trying to find them is difficult and trying to get any worthwhile information out of the census is nearly impossible. However, I have found Olive on a couple of later censuses - places of birth being "not known" and Kent, respectively. No help there then.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                It was meant in that context. Thank you!

And yes, of course, using the ref is quicker, but my post was meant as a general suggestion, which would identify that family in 1851 and might help with other censuses and data sets without making use of the ambiguously spelt surname.
                Last edited by col48; 12-05-13, 18:55.

Comment

Working...
                X