Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William & Thomas Solomons - how do they fit in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William & Thomas Solomons - how do they fit in?

William & Thomas Solomons, both born Nymphsfield, Gloucestershire, appear on the 1851 census listed as sons of Richard & Sarah Wilkins.

1851 census

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=7743310
    Ref: HO107; Piece: 1965; Folio: 313; Page: 14; GSU roll: 87365.

Household:
    Richard Wilkins 48
    Sarah Wilkins 47
    Richard Wilkins 19
    Henry Wilkins 17
    Charlotte Wilkins 14
    William Solomons 27
    Thos Solomons 25

However, they don't appear to be with Richard and Sarah in 1841 (name mistranscribed as Wellkins on Ancestry)

1841 census

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

HO107; Piece: 362; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Rodburgh; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 54; Page: 13; Line: 16

Household:
    Richd Wellkins 35
    Sarah Wellkins 40
    Harioll Wellkins 11
    Richard Wellkins 8
    Henry Wellkins 6
    Charlote Wellkins 3

This is not my tree - am trying to help a friend - can anyone see how William and Thomas fit in with this family and where are they in 1841?
    Elaine

First guess - Are they the sons of Sarah from a previous marriage?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Good question! Both Sarah and Richard were born Nymphsfield, but I cannot find any online PRs.

I have found a birth registration for a Charlotte Wilkins, 1838 2nd qtr. Stroud registration district, which gives MMN as Burford.
      I cannot see any other Charlotte Wilkins of that age in the 1841 census, apart from the one that I have given in post #1
      Elaine

Comment

They seem to be rather inconsistent with their ages -

Thomas
        1871 census - b 1821
        1881 census - b 1813
        1891 census - b 1813

William
        1861 census - b 1819
        Elaine

Comment

in 1841 there is a family with a Thomas and a William Solomon ? born abt the right times in Gloucestershire H0107 376 40 19

Comment

Yes I looked at that one Val, but it's Somerset - although I see they were not born in County.
            Also Thomas is the eldest on that census - whereas I have William being the eldest.
            Elaine

Comment

Sorry, not ignoring anyone if they reply. Have got to go out!
              Elaine

Comment

I think this may be them:

According to © Gloucestershire Family History Society 2007 - Gloucestershire Baptism Index CD, two boys were baptised in NYMPSFIELD ST BARTHOLOMEW, place of abode NYMPHSFIELD.

Both sons of SARAH.

One was William Solomon Brown baptised on 17 JUN 1821, the other was Thomas Solomon Brown baptised on 20 Jan 1824.

There was also an earlier Thomas: Thomas BROWN baptised on 4 Apr 1819 Nymphsfield son of Sarah.

UPDATE: I am having no success finding the Wilkins baptisms as children of Richard and Sarah... or any other parents come to that!!
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

so they were born a lot earlier than stated on the census ?

Comment

*does double take* Elaine, doing your own research?? oh eck...lol... nice to see and be on the flip side for a change!! :smilee:
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      *does double take* Elaine, doing your own research?? oh eck...lol... nice to see and be on the flip side for a change!! :smilee:
                      *slaps wrists* must learn to read the header post correctly!!! lol!
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

According to © Gloucestershire Family History Society 2007 - Gloucestershire Baptism Index CD, two boys were baptised in NYMPSFIELD ST BARTHOLOMEW, place of abode NYMPHSFIELD.

Both sons of SARAH, they were baptised on the same day, 17 JUN 1821.

One was William Solomon Brown, the other was Thomas Solomon Brown.

I was a bit bothered that the date was too early, but see that may be irrelevant!!

EDIT: Once I have taken out the CD, it wont run again without restarting the laptop so I looked at the data differently and Thomas Solomon Brown has a different date: 20 Jan 1824. There was also an earlier Thomas: Thomas BROWN baptised on 4 Apr 1819 Nymphsfield son of Sarah.
                        That looks useful Caroline, thanks.
                        .. I am sure I found a Brown connection somewhere yesterday and then dismissed it. I'll have to backtrack!
                        Elaine

Comment

Found it -
                          a marriage between Richard Wilkins and Sarah Brown - 1832 in Minchinhampton
                          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

Both sons of SARAH.

One was William Solomon Brown baptised on 17 JUN 1821, the other was Thomas Solomon Brown baptised on 20 Jan 1824.

There was also an earlier Thomas: Thomas BROWN baptised on 4 Apr 1819 Nymphsfield son of Sarah.

UPDATE: I am having no success finding the Wilkins baptisms as children of Richard and Sarah... or any other parents come to that!!
                            I have finally given up with the other baptisms being in Gloucestershire!! (I don't like the interface on the CD, much prefer the Hampshire ones where you can search by parents.)
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for looking!
                              Elaine

Comment

Trying to find William and Thomas in the 1841 census, possibly with the surname BROWN rather than SOLOMON(S) !

Have found one which is a possible for William - place, age and occupation seem to fit

William Brown, b c1823 - living in Rodborough (same parish as Richard & Sarah Wilkins) - occupation Clothworker (which matches 1851 occupation)

HO107; Piece: 362; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Rodburgh; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 5; Folio: 63; Page: 5

Can anyone see a likely entry for Thomas (Solomon) Brown - born c 1824 Nymphsfield - occupation Miller.
                                Elaine

Comment

had a good look but not found him ,but then maybe he wasn't a Miller then ?

Comment

Thanks for trying Val.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                    X