Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Marriage Cert question

signed.JPG
    next to Henry Gosnell in the next column it says signed but does that mean Henry or the Priest ?? and if Henry would it mean he attended thanks

I think you'll find that the left hand column on a Scottish marriage entry is column 5, in which the groom and brides parents are listed. Column 6 on the right hand side is for the signatures of the minister and any witnesses, if the marriage was a regular marriage. So the priest signed and the word 'sgned' would then be shown below if any witnesses signed.

merleyone

Comment

Thanks Merleyone does that mean then there were no witnesses to this one ?

Comment

The details on the LH side are the groom's parents and below them should be the details of the bride's parents. The Minister usually signed etc at the top of the RH column, alongside the groom's parents, and witnesses signed lower down in the RH column alongside the bride's parents. This marriage must have been a regular marriage and I would be surprised if there were no witnesses, in fact I don't know that would have been lawful!

merleyone

Comment

If you would like to e-mail it to me Val I will have a look and see what I think. I have seen Scottish marriage certs before. Ver informative aren't they. I wish ours were as good.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks both what I am trying to ascertain is was Henry Gosnell the Father present at all ? I am still trying to find him in the census and his death so am trying to narrow him down .
            Cert on its way Chrissie thanks.

Comment

Just arrived Val The witnesses are B. W. Garner and F. (N ?) Taylor.

It doesn't mention the father being deceased and they usually do - if they are of course
              Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-05-13, 21:32.

Comment

ooh thought as your light was out you had gone to bed early ? thanks again

Comment

If I went as early as this Val I would never sleep Anyway, hubby is out and I was just watching TV for an hour.

Comment

I suppose its because I never log out till I go to bed I assume people have gone for the night.
                    I'm watching secret eaters, must say I wouldn't want to eat in their homes licking their fingers etc UGH UGH

Comment

Funny how we were both thinking about where we could eat/drink. I have just had the compulsive hoarders programme thing playing in the background and all I could keep thinking was how dangerous it would be to eat or drink in those houses
                      p.s. At least all our horded stuff i.e. rubbish is up the loft
                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-05-13, 22:01.

Comment

Working...
                      X