Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Slade (1826 - 1891)

Hi

Wondering if anyone can help with finding Baptism records for a Stephen Slade. Appears to have been born abt 1826 Sherborne, Dorset.
    Census records show him being in North Perrot, Somerset from 1841 (Age 15, Servant at the parsonage) to 1881 (Age 55, Farm Bailiff). He died Q1 1891 in North Perrott, age 65. Place of birth is consistently shown as Sherborne.
    I know Dorset has good baptism records online but I cannot find Stephen in or about Sherborne in about 1826.

Cheers

D

have you checked the Non-conformist registers at all?

I have found a Stephen SLADER bapt 1830 in dorset

not sure if you will see that or not but the last 'hit' could be a possible, you can buy credits to view the results, or if you subscribe to the Genealogist you can see the records there.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi just did a search and found this.
      Birth:
      Stephen Slade born 31st Oct 1825
      Baptized 11th Dec 1825
      Mother Nancy Slade
      Abode Sherbone, County of Somerset
      Saint Martins Church is the place of his Baptism
      no father recorded
      Lizzy

Comment

Hi Lizzy

That certainly could be it. Can I ask what your source is.

Many thanks

D

Comment

Yep Old Parish Records Sherbone, Lizzy

Comment

Originally posted by liz hutchison View Post
            Hi just did a search and found this.
            Birth:
            Stephen Slade born 31st Oct 1825
            Baptized 11th Dec 1825
            Mother Nancy Slade
            Abode Sherbone, County of Somerset
            Saint Martins Church is the place of his Baptism
            no father recorded
            Lizzy
            great find Liz!..

I checked also the Dorset OPC page, but that baptism doesn't even appear there!.. [though it does have other useful info on it]
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 08-05-13, 07:03.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you it took me a while started looking at churches in the area them weeded them out until he came up, it is not on Ancestry, did not find a marriage though but is not to say that she was not married, will keep looking Slade could be her married name so it will be bitty hard with no maiden name, Lizzy

Comment

Is that an online source (if so care to say where) or do you have access to the records in book/CD form.

Many thanks for this. Off to see if I can Nancy in the census records.

D

Comment

Both I brought Cds out of frustration with my Langhorn Family and Boy Oh! boy I have Cds from all over Uk and SCotland, I spend a lot of time searching for others because of the fantastic support i received when I first sighed up on this FTF. Lizzy

Comment

Then thanks again Liz. Total understand helping others. Hopefully can return the favour. If anyone has bits of research need doing in the Tavistock area, since I now have some time on my hands (redundancy agian), then drop me a line.

D

Comment

I hope you've kept in mind that 'Slade' in handwriting (i.e. as it would appear in any original document of its day) is susceptible to mistranscription? For example, I have a SANSBURY who was recorded as LANSBURY in the IGI; 'd' can look similar to 'cl', and 'a' to 'u' - just to mention a very few possible pitfalls.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

As a moderator, I should remind you that databases usually come with T&Cs that discourage the offering of look-ups, and even the doing thereof. FTF requires members to respect the T&Cs of other organisations: the revenue they get from selling the CDs &c helps to pay for future databases. Please make sure you aren't breaking any rules when sharing info: links to info are different, because they usually include protection against access by those who aren't entitled.

We have to hope that organisations recognise that an occasional loss-leader may be enough to get them new subscribers when the value of the material is recognised by the new user (as happened with me and Ancestry some years ago!).

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine are you saying that I have done some thing wrong according to this site, I now spend a lot of time on this site to try to help others as I have a lot of time on my hands due to losing my husband last Sptember plus if it was not for the help I received from this site I would not have had the break throughs I have had with my Laanghorn side. So I feel I am just giving back Lizzy

Comment

Liz, I think all Christine was trying to do was to protect you against breaching any Ts and Cs of the resources you are using.
                            Certain sites specifically state that you should not do lookups for other people, I believe www.genealogist.co.uk is one such site.
                            Your help with research queries is very much appreciated so please continue to participate in the forum.
                            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                              Liz, I think all Christine was trying to do was to protect you against breaching any Ts and Cs of the resources you are using.
                              Certain sites specifically state that you should not do lookups for other people, I believe www.genealogist.co.uk is one such site.
                              Your help with research queries is very much appreciated so please continue to participate in the forum.
                              Sorry if I sounded heavy-handed. That wasn't my intention. The friendliness and mutual support on this site are things that make me proud to be associated with it.

Christine

Comment

Thank you Christine much appreciated just I have had so much help from this site and I love giving back its so excciting when you can help some one else and give a nudge to brickwalls for some one else. Lizzy

Comment

Working...
                                X