Help with John Chadwick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with John Chadwick

John Chadwick is one of my direct ancestors. He was born in Leeds 1799, married Grace Glover 13 Nov 1817 Leeds and died 1860. According to the 1851 census he was born 1800 in Hunslet, Leeds. Now considering that ancestry has parish records for Leeds it should be possible to establish who John’s parents were. However, having spent many hours on several occasions I am no nearer to finding an answer.

There is a tree on ancestry with my John and the owner has John’s parents as Thomas and Mary. However, I am not convinced this is correct as according the census John was born in Hunslet and the parents of the Thomas Chadwick born c1800 were living in Woodhouse which is the other side of Leeds to Hunslet(children born before and after 1800). Also, my John was a miner the Thomas on the family tree was a Shoe Maker. Having said this My John’s first son was named Thomas and one of witnesses at his marriage was Thomas Chadwick – was this a grandfather or Uncle? It wasn’t a Cousin of Thomas as none of John’s sons, other than Thomas, had sons named Thomas.

There are two John Chadwick’s baptised c1800 Hunslet and one baptised Leeds but I cannot establish if any of these is my John.

Am I missing something obvious? I can’t believe that it is so difficult to establish the parentage of John.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sandra

there seem to be quite a few John Chadwicks Sandra, might it be an idea to track the others and see if any parents/siblings show up with them, it may help to eliminate the rogue ones?

I also notice that the marriage doesn't give any helpful pointers re witness names.. :(
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

EDIT Just re read your post - note the other baptisms you mentioned.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=WYorkPre1813&h=9175957&indiv=try&o_vc=R ecord:OtherRecord&rhSource=8860

Have you seen this baptism for Hunslet Chapel. Father Thomas.

Vera
      Last edited by vera2013; 07-05-13, 19:16.

Comment

Hi Julie and Vera, thank you for trying to help. It looks like John is just a puzzle - so frustrating.

Sandra

Comment

For what its worth Sandra I noted that the Woodhouse baptism was in a Methodist Church. The other two John's baptised in Hunslet had father's Thomas and Benjamin.

As you say your Thomas married Grace and was a miner. Nothing helpful in the marriage cert as it was an early one. He died in1860. If I am looking at the correct death cert informant was Jane Chadwick.

The John whose father was Benjamin married for the second time to a Mary Brooks widow (nee Burnett). John was a Widower and a Wood Turner and his father Benjamin was a Cordwainer.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 07-05-13, 20:14.

Comment

Hi Vera,

Thank you for your input.There are two Benjamin Chadwick's having children one was a miner just to confuse the issue still further. The informant on John Chadwick's death was his daughter in law - the wife of Thomas Chadwick.

Sandra

Comment

the one baptised leeds may also be hunslet chapel. i have quite a few who ancestry says were baptised at st peter's leeds, but the image clearly say hunslet chapel. this is 1800-1810.

Comment

Hi Sandra,

Have you got the burial record for John? Hunslet Cemetery, Grave type General, Old Section, Grave no. 1459, 9th September 1860.

Also in same grave: Grace Chadwick, (widow of John) buried 18th August 1872, age 83.
                James Chadwick (son of John) born 1848, buried 19th June 1849.
                John Chadwick (son of John William Chadwick), buried 15th August 1871, age 5 months.
                Sarah Chadwick (w/o John (William?) born 1827, buried 19th June 1849.
                Sarah Chadwick (dau. of John) born 1867, buried 31st May 1871, age 4.

There is no mention of a Thomas or Benjamin Chadwick in Hunslet Cemetery so the above doesn't help you solve the issue of John's father.

Regards,

Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,

Thank you so much for the information outlined above. I have a lot of information c/o Ancestry but I did not have any of the burial information which you listed. And, I only discovered last night that John (John's son) had three wives not two as I thought. The burial information for Sarah Chadwick, Johns first wife confirms this and i did not know about the existence of James Chadwick - it would seem that he suffered the same fate as his mother as they were buried on the same day.

I wonder if you could help me with another burial? I am trying to establish a death/ burial for Martha Armitage (nee Chadwick) born 1828 John's daughter and my direct ancestor. I think she died c1887 but I can not be sure. It was certainly between 1881 and 1891 in the Leeds area. Also, if it is not too much of an imposition would it be possible to check a burial for George Armitage who died 2nd q of 1847(Hunslet). I have looked on the burial records for Hunslet but there is no sign of him. George is my 4x great grandfather and another ancestor I am struggling with!!

Many thanks,

Sandra
                  Last edited by Sherbertrose; 08-05-13, 12:08.

Comment

As a moderator, I should remind you that databases usually come with T&Cs that discourage the offering of look-ups, and even the doing thereof. FTF requires members to respect the T&Cs of other organisations: the revenue they get from selling the CDs &c helps to pay for future databases. Please make sure you aren't breaking any rules when sharing info: links to info are different, because they usually include protection against access by those who aren't entitled.

We have to hope that organisations recognise that an occasional loss-leader may be enough to get them new subscribers when the value of the material is recognised by the new user (as happened with me and Ancestry some years ago!).

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Sandra,

I have sent a PM to Christine which I hope allays her T&C fears.

Martha and George don't appear to be buried in Hunslet Cemetery but I will have a look at other local Cemeteries and graveyards to see if I can find them for you.

Regards, Ian

Comment

Hi Ian,

Thank you. it was never my intention to upset any one.

Sandra

Comment

It's OK Sandra, no upset caused. I'll have search for Martha and George. Ian

Comment

Hi Sandra,

I have sent you a PM.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                            X