A death in the family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A death in the family

We have just heard that my husband`s cousin died 2 weeks ago after a short illness. He had no family except cousins so does anyone know how we find out details of his death and who is organising the funeral, it might already have taken place.
    He played in a jazz band but they don`t seem to know either as he was a very private man. Very sad as we tried to meet up with him several times but he always said he was busy.
    Thanks

How about phoning/emailing funeral directors in the area where he lived. I did this once when friend had died and found them very helpful. Googling "Funeral Directors" and the name of his home town ought to bring up contact details.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith, I did think of that. I may give it a go but I thought if there is no one to organise it they may be waiting for a member of the family to do so.

Comment

Or try the death notices in the local paper (on-line, of course).
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Done that already thanks, can`t find anything there. There are a lot of comments on band website he played with but even they know nothing.

Comment

You mention he died after a short illness.
            Was he in hospital did he die in hospital? If so they would hold details of the funeral directors who took his body from the hospital.
            If he died at home contact the police (local to his home).
            Cheers
            Guy
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

The person who registered the death is usually the person who arranges the funeral...."causing the body to be buried"...if they are not next of kin.

I am not sure how much the Registrar would tell you, to be honest, but you could try phoning them and asking who registered the death. They may tell you if it is an official such as a funeral director or hospital almoner, etc.

OC

Comment

Thank you all who replied, I had an email this morning giving us the contact number of a lady who knew him and she has given me all the details, so thanks for all your help, another problem solved ! maybe the info will be useful for someone else in the future.

Comment

Working...
                X