resettlement orders on ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resettlement orders on ancestry

Hi, I have looked at the free transcriptons for these, can anyone tell me if there is more information in the original image - e.g full address rather than just the area? I don't have an ancestry subscription at the moment, and I don't want to get one if there is no other info apart from what is already free
    Thanks
    Darannon

Originally posted by darannon View Post
    Hi, I have looked at the free transcriptons for these, can anyone tell me if there is more information in the original image - e.g full address rather than just the area? I don't have an ancestry subscription at the moment, and I don't want to get one if there is no other info apart from what is already free
    Thanks
    Darannon
    If you let us have a name we'll have a look for you.

Margaret

Comment

Thankyou, it's the Vango family, in the Bethnal Green area, resettled in 1856 - seems to be several in the same family, which I hope would be confirmed on the original records

Darannon

Comment

If you pm me with your email addy I can send the image. Had a quick look and there is quite lot of info.

There is huge amount of Vango stuff on ancestry, including public trees with lots of photos - have you had a sub previously and got all that info? You can always get a fortnight free trial or buy a family tree maker platinum program on amazon which gives you 6 months premium sub included for about £30?

IF Im not around - perhaps someone else could send you the image - it goes over two pages

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post

There is huge amount of Vango stuff on ancestry, including public trees with lots of photos - have you had a sub previously and got all that info? You can always get a fortnight free trial or buy a family tree maker platinum program on amazon which gives you 6 months premium sub included for about £30
          http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...rc=&pid=134750
          And don't forget you can view the public trees, including photos, on the mundia site at www.mundia.com without an ancestry subscription. It is a little more difficult to navigate than ancestry but if you search by person/date & location you should get the results you want.
          Good luck!

Comment

Thankyou, I've belonged to Ancestry several times in the past, and do have a lot of Vango info. I was interested in these new records as 1856 is between census, so if it showed a full address, or unknown children it would be worth paying for. Sounds like it is, so I will now go ahead - thanks for your help
            Darannon

Comment

As a moderator, I should remind you that databases usually come with T&Cs that discourage the offering of look-ups, and even the doing thereof. FTF requires members to respect the T&Cs of other organisations: the revenue they get from selling the CDs &c helps to pay for future databases. Please make sure you aren't breaking any rules when sharing info: links to info are different, because they usually include protection against access by those who aren't entitled.

We have to hope that organisations recognise that an occasional loss-leader may be enough to get them new subscribers when the value of the material is recognised by the new user (as happened with me and Ancestry some years ago!).

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for this thread which prompted me to pop a few speculative surnames into a search of the settlement orders on ancestry. I was fairly sure none of my families would have appeared as they were always settled and self supporting but up popped one of my great grandfathers as late as 1927. It appears that he was living in Hackney and because he had been admitted to hospital (in another borough) that he was deemed in receipt of relief and so was entered in the settlement register to confirm his Hackney settlement.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

where are the settlement orders on ancestry? i can't find them!

Comment

Yes you are right Chris, hopefully getting a bit of info will encourage the OP to take out a free trial at least. I wouldnt feel complete without my ancestry sub which I have had what, 7 years now? Even though I dont get a lot from it now as Im dead ended with so many of mine after all these years, there is always the hope someone or something new will turn up and open a whole new avenue for me.

Comment

I'd been avoiding an Ancestry sub until I saw how valuable it would be to have access to original images of things like censuses. I don't always run an Ancestry sub now, but when I don't, I still trek up to the Library to take advantage of the access there.

C
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        where are the settlement orders on ancestry? i can't find them!
                        Here's a link to them. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2651

Not sure if the link will work for you if you are on ancestry.au If not go to card index and type settlement in the key word box, or go to "Search", then "Court, Land, Wills and Financial" Scroll down the list of "Individual Titles in the Category" and find London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1828-1930- Free Index - New!
                        Last edited by JudithM; 08-05-13, 17:24.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thank you judith, very fascinating!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                            Yes you are right Chris, hopefully getting a bit of info will encourage the OP to take out a free trial at least. I wouldnt feel complete without my ancestry sub which I have had what, 7 years now? Even though I dont get a lot from it now as Im dead ended with so many of mine after all these years, there is always the hope someone or something new will turn up and open a whole new avenue for me.
                            I have also had my ancestry sub for several years, but I find that I have to keep going back over my tree - the settlement records and London Bapts, Marr and Burials, and the Manchester baptisms have added so much to my tree that now I try to check through my tree every now and then. I am still waiting for some elusive records to make a breakthrough in some places, but meanwhile, the tree is exapnding in many other directions.
                            Diane
                            Sydney Australia
                            Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                            X