Irish Research Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Research Sites

Roots Ireland hasn't produced any 'hits' for the research I'm working on. What are the other good alternatives for Irish BMDs? My subject is alive but unwell so I cant ask for too much help.

I couldn't find anything on roots ireland either - I didn't know what part of Ireland they came from.

However I put a message on www.rootsweb.com for one of the irish counties that seemed to have a lot of people with the same surname I was looking for. I got a very long reply from a Dave who had found the baptisms of two of the children of the family plus some deaths etc and other info amounting to about 5 pages!!! which was absolutely amazing. Only about 5 years of these parish records survived which is why I couldn't find the births or marriages of the parents or the other children when I searched, plus of course the various spellings. Dave had done an awful lot of research for me which was fantastic.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Have you checked familysearch? What period are you looking for? Indexes for civil reg exist on familysearch, fmp and rootsireland. And it's helpful to know - protestant or RC?

Comment

You were lucky JBee...........and PhotoFamily, yes, I tried FamilySearch earlier. My 'subject' is Protestant and came from Belfast.
        Thank you both for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
          You were lucky JBee...........and PhotoFamily, yes, I tried FamilySearch earlier. My 'subject' is Protestant and came from Belfast.
          Thank you both for your responses.
          Ancestry has quite a few BMDs for Ireland under Civil Registration. Search their Card Catalogue using Ireland as the search term.

Margaret

Comment

My rellies were pre- statutory registration c1830-1840.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Elwyn has a Research Offer (or perhaps it's in the Request section?) to assist with Northern Ireland research. He's been a great help to me, and knows resources well.

Comment

elwyn knows his stuff about northern irish research. my only other thought, is your looking for bmd's after the 1920's? if so, only the republic of ireland is covered up to the 50's on any of the commercial sites like ancestry. the northern irish ones are not online anywhere, which is a pain. i have a lot of aunts and some uncles to trace after 1922, and just can't get anywhere.

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions..............I've sent a message to Elwyn.

Comment

Hello everyone I have a problem in researching my Irish roots. My great grandmother Margaret Wray was married in Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland on the 12th May 1908 to my great grandfather Robert Moore. She was born around 1886 I have only found the father's names of both of them. I am ideally trying to find her birth certificate but no luck. I don't even know how to find out how she came to be in Glasgow with her husband.
                    Yours Mrs Wendy Landale nee Guldberg
                    P.S. This is where I got some information
                    http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie/view_det...donegal&page=1

Comment

Working...
                    X