Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harriet Melhuish 1837, Washfield devon, parents???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harriet Melhuish 1837, Washfield devon, parents???

I believe her dad is John James Melhuish but not sure of her mam. I have Ann Crocker as her mam but have doubts about this.

Harriet's son appears to be illegitimate, and so has her surname, and I'm fairly sure John James is her dad but there seems to be more than one Ann who could be her mam.

as yet I have no birth record for Harriet Melhuish (married william hodge 1866) What would you lovely people do to find out her parents. Who's record ie birth/marriage etc could get me back on track.

thank you.

Get Harriet's marriage cert which will give you her father's name for definite, thus enabling you to find the right Harriet with her parents in the various census.

OC

Comment

hello Currie.. do you have the marriage cert at all? do you have her on any census? [I have Melhuish's in my tree too, so have a little incy wincy interest... :smilee:]
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies. 1851 she's in service age 14. 1861 she's living with mother Ann (widow), siblings and one year old son John, she down as out of service. 1871 she married with five children to William Hodge, John is on a separate record as being in service age 11. John is never on any further census as living with Harriet and 1901 I have her in a workhouse.
        i don't really want to buy certificates because My fil is supposed to have a family tree somewhere but my mil is not sure where it is. Seems silly to pay out for information they probably already have but frustrating. Really hope she looks for it.

Comment

Originally posted by currie1972 View Post
          Hi, thanks for the replies. 1851 she's in service age 14. 1861 she's living with mother Ann (widow), siblings and one year old son John, she down as out of service. 1871 she married with five children to William Hodge, John is on a separate record as being in service age 11. John is never on any further census as living with Harriet and 1901 I have her in a workhouse.
          i don't really want to buy certificates because My fil is supposed to have a family tree somewhere but my mil is not sure where it is. Seems silly to pay out for information they probably already have but frustrating. Really hope she looks for it.
          if Harriet married in church you could get a copy of the marriage cert for the cost of a photocopy from the local studies library or the Archives.

[My own Melhuish family come from Uffculme/Ashill area of Devon..]
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 05-05-13, 10:24.
          Julie

Comment

Hello Currie. Just adding my interest in the Melhuish lot. My sister in law is a Melhuish. I don't have her tree on this laptop, but will have a look tomorrow. She has some Devon connection but I can't remember where....

Her recent family is around Grimsby.

Comment

It all depends how accurate and thoroughly-researched the tree is when it does turn up. My uncle's research was immaculate (he trudged round graveyards and spent his holidays in records offices) but my father's recollections weren't particularly accurate. Certificates are better than family memories, unless the name is extemely uncommon.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i agree with uncle john, you have no idea how detailed the tree is. it could be vague and done from memory, or it could be a big chart with extreme detail. i have both from my family, and nothing beats using them as templates and starting from scratch.

Comment

Thanks for the help, Im new to all this. I have no idea what the tree is like. It was sent to my father in law by a relative, I've never seen it and my mother in law doesn't have a clue where shes put it. I'd like to get certificates and have ordered one for another branch of the family but i'm not exactly flush so just being very careful to take my time and be sure before I order more. I was thinking it would be best to order John Melhuish and Sarah Ann Davey's because he's the last relative I'm 100% on. I could maybe have the wrong Harriet Melhuish.
                  Sorry, do you mean the studies library/archives local to the marriage, how would I go about that?
                  Thank you.

Comment

Sorry, do you mean the studies library/archives local to the marriage, how would I go about that?
                    Thank you.
                    Yep, I do mean exactly that, :smilee: we have a section onsite here to request specific lookups in Libraries/Archives.. you will need to compose a thread and add it to the relevant section

Julie

Comment

Working...
                    X