I'm in a bind..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in a bind..

Mum would like me to focus on Florence Tubridy (Burton) for a bit now.

I have her birth in 1902, Micklegate, York.

A 1911 census: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

Marriage: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

Death: 1931 of Stomach Cancer (Have the death Cert)

However there's another Florence Burton, middle initial of M, born in 1901, York with a 1911 Census. Have I got the right Florence?
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

The other Florence: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...2_h50208074362

1911: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=8912

1901: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=2352

Comment

Florence Mabel was born in Eston, d/o Giles & Margaret, birth reg Q1 1901 Middlesbrough. The other Florence was (according to census) born York, d/o George & Beatrice, birth reg Q4 1901 York. The marriage cert would give Florence's father's name and occupation, so confirming which Florence is the right one. You say you have the birth of "your" Florence in Micklegate York in 1902 - is this by working backwards from age given at death? (Micklegate is the name of a street, although it is sometimes used to denote the area immediately around Micklegate Bar - this is in the present day city centre rather than the outskirts.) I can't find any birth for a Florence Burton registered in the York district in any quarter of 1902.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

you can't be sure which is yours unless you have the marriage. that gives you a father's name, which allows you tackle the census. then once you have proved you have her in the census, get the birth cert (assuming she is the direct ancestor. i know a lot of people are reluctant to get certs for aunts and uncles), which should confirm your ancestor.

Comment

The one born in York was registered Oct-Dec 1901 York ref 9d 39
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Wouldn't Florence' Marriage have had her middle name if she did have one? According to my Mum, Nanna was always of the opinion that she was given a middle name because her parents didn't have one and Nanna kind of kept that tradition up. The only boy that she had with Granddad Albi was given his Father's name as a middle (George) and the youngest child (Mum) would have a middle name as well (symbolical as Nanna was the youngest of her full blooded siblings) Mum then gave us lot middle names as well.

Comment

One set of my great grandparents named their children after members of both families either as first or middle names and often with surnames as middle names. On the other side of the family I think many were named after their godparents - maybe in hope of a substantial christening gift??? My Mum decided that none of us would be named after any body and so gave us completely different ie none-family first names.
              weirdly enough i named one of my children with a fairly unusual first name at the time only to find years later that it was the name of her ggg grandmother!!!!
              Angelina

Comment

There is only the ONE Florence Burton with a birth reg YORK (see posts 3 & 5) in the time span 1901 - 1902. Florence M Burton (birth reg Q1 1901) was born & reg in the MIDDLESBROUGH district. TWO Florence Burton births reg Yorkshire in 1902 - one in Sheffield, one Ecclesall Bierlow, so neither of them born in York.
                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 03-05-13, 10:47.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                  Wouldn't Florence' Marriage have had her middle name if she did have one? According to my Mum, Nanna was always of the opinion that she was given a middle name because her parents didn't have one and Nanna kind of kept that tradition up. The only boy that she had with Granddad Albi was given his Father's name as a middle (George) and the youngest child (Mum) would have a middle name as well (symbolical as Nanna was the youngest of her full blooded siblings) Mum then gave us lot middle names as well.
                  you cannot rely on hearsay/family lore, you have to go with FACT, memories fade over time, so therefore the only way to be 100% is to buy the marriage cert.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

True, especially when Nanna never knew her Mum at all, she only ever had one picture and that got stolen when she was mugged.

Comment

So who was the father on her marriage certificate?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Seems it was either a registry office or a registrar attended marriage, so the chances of being able to consult any church parish marriage register seem pretty slim.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There's another reason that I'm not really sure: Nanna always told Mum that Florence was adopted at birth by another man but I'm pretty sure we've proved that wrong.

Comment

get the marriage record, it's the only way you will prove anything.

Comment

Working...
                            X