Will we finally find a death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we finally find a death?

I've come back to Elizabeth Hannah Rickaby, born in Stockton 1878 and married Thomas Phillips in 1898 again in Stockton.

Thomas died in 1937 but I can't find a death for Elizabeth.

angelina and I have been searching with no luck, we've also found that the Rickaby's had more money than the Phillips, more into the 2nd Class than paupers that the Phillips seem to have been so we think that it may have been Elizabeth's family that paid for Thomas' grave (buried with Nephew/foster Son John)

Can anyone help us finish this part of the family please? (For now that is)
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
    I've come back to Elizabeth Hannah Rickaby, born in Stockton 1878 and married Thomas Phillips in 1898 again in Stockton.

Thomas died in 1937 but I can't find a death for Elizabeth.

angelina and I have been searching with no luck, we've also found that the Rickaby's had more money than the Phillips, more into the 2nd Class than paupers that the Phillips seem to have been so we think that it may have been Elizabeth's family that paid for Thomas' grave (buried with Nephew/foster Son John)

Can anyone help us finish this part of the family please? (For now that is)
    Have you got them in 1911 and if so can you post up the link of the reference please.

Margaret

Comment

How about this one?

Elizabeth H Phillips
      Birth Date: abt 1880
      Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1951
      Age at Death: 71
      Registration district: Newcastle upon Tyne
      Inferred County: Northumberland
      Volume: 1b
      Page: 148

Comment

Census: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgplz0q3dpid

Death: We did see that one but we weren't sure why she would have been in Newcastle and so we didn't wish to add it until we had found something a little closer to home.

Comment

Maybe she died in hospital in Newcastle, or was living with one of her children/grandchildren?
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

I'm afraid she had no children biologically and John died in 1914.

Comment

OK then, living with niece/nephew etc.

Point is not everyone is born, married and died within the same square mile, so sometimes you have to widen the net. And sometimes also, without shelling out for umpteen possible certificates, you have to admit that you can't identify someone's BMD with any real certainty.
              Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Agree with STG - I've just found an overseas death for a rellie who died whilst on holiday in Porec (Jugoslavia). My great-granddad died very suddenly whilst spending the day with his daughter, who lived only 4 miles away from GGF's home, but in a different reg dist. I've got several cases of people being buried in a village churchyard, but they died elsewhere and their death was registered in an "away" district - but their bodies were "brought home" for burial. Similarly, I've also discovered that recording a name on a gravestone in a village churchyard/cemetery doesn't necessarily mean the person died there or was buried there!!
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

There is a marriage in 1916, Darlington. Could her and Thomas have Divorced?

Scrap that- she's written on Thomas' Obituary.

Comment

Have you checked if she married again herself? I couldn't find a death for one of mine for ages, but it turned out she had never actually married her second 'husband' and then remarried at 65 using her first married name - she had also moved from the East End to Essex, which isn't far, but coupled with a different name meant I searched high and low before finding her! Good luck

Darannon

Comment

There's another marriage in 1916, Darlington to a man named Poole..

Not sure if its her though.
                      Last edited by lennon2011; 04-05-13, 13:03.

Comment

do you know this site

cant find Elizabeth Rickaby but lots of stockton peoplethere .
                        Angelina

Comment

I have come across the site a few times Angelina thank you, I didn't think to try Elizabeth on there. Will try to find someone else on there though.

Comment

And i bet you knowthis one too:-
                            The Tees Valley Indexes contain birth death and marriage records for Middlesbrough and Redcar and Cleveland Register Offices.
                            Angelina

Comment

Yes indeed, I'm attempting to find Thomas Phillips II (The Nephew) on that one.
                              Last edited by lennon2011; 04-05-13, 14:57.

Comment

a m stuck at the moment - cant think of anything else!
                                Angelina

Comment

Poole marriage:

Although Elizabeth's name is on Thomas' Obituary.

Granddad (her Nephew by marriage) married Nanna 24th March 1952 and they lived in the ever popular Croft Street (3 to be exact) with an Aunt that was affectionately known as Lizzie for a while. There's another Aunt in Australia (Sarah Cornforth Phillips (Newsholme) that they were talking of living with. I think that the majority of the children were born by then so they might not have been living with Lizzie by then.

Comment

I have seen the link to the marriage thankyou. Tho if she is on Thomas's obituary then i think it likely they remained married rather than divorced. I just cant find an Elizabeth Hannah Phillips dying anwhere that fits after 1952 tho she may have been recorded as Elizabeth Phillips which is difficult for you to find her. have tried the probate records but nothing springing out.
                                    Angelina

Comment

There is an EHP born 1896 dying in 1982 in gateshead but the ages are way out for a birth of your EHP in 1878.
                                      Angelina

Comment

Exactly. that was the first one we ever found when we attempted to find her. I'll try to find a Poole death in the Stockton area otherwise I'll try the Phillips in Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                        X